2000 CR500 owners, need some advice please

hammerface

May 9, 2003
Ok, here's the deal. I have an '02 Suzuki DRZ400s that I'm trying to sell and some guy wants to trade me his 2000 CR500 and maybe some cash. He bought it in 2000 and got shipped of to the US for a year (it stayed here), then he bought a house the following year and this year he is hurt. He said there is seriously only about 20 hours on it. Here's what it has:

Pro Circuit Pipe and Silencer (as well as stock silencer)
·
· Renthal high rise bars ( Jimmy Button Bend )
·
· D.I.D. o-ring chain ( on from new)
·
· UNI Air filter ( Stock one included )
·
· Kimpex brake and clutch levers ( Stock clutch lever included)
·
· Still original front and rear tires (50% left on rear 80% on
front)
·
· No major engine work performed
·
· Regular oil changes and air filter cleanings
·
· I took the bike directly out of the crate and built it myself
·
· When the bike was new I tore it down and greased all of the
bearings properly (done twice/year since )
·
· Engine was properly broken in/maintained run on nothing but MC1
full synthetic 2 stroke oil
·
· Bike has a total of approx. 20hrs run time ( still runs like new)
·
· Starts first kick every time ( if you know how )
·
· Will include bike manual
·
· This is my 3rd CR500
·
· Selling due to back/shoulder problems

I have a picture and the bike looks like new. What do you think, should I go for it? Is there lots of life left in the top end? I only ride bush and fields and sand, I'm thinking this might be just the ticket but I've never ridden one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
If you want a cr500 got for it!!! These 500's from what ive read need a top end like every 2 years depending on the use. After all a top end in a non power valved engine is simple.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
If you haven't ridden a cr500 yet, you really should!!! I had an '84. Now I have a "01 KX500. It's not much different from the CR500. The light weight and power is amazing!!! There is no better power : weight ratio available!!! The top end's last forever because you never need to rev past the midrange rpm!!! I usually keep it bogging at low rpm so I can handle it!!! The low end power is awesome!!! You'll never have to wonder what it would be like to have more power!!! I would definitely go for it!!!

Tom L.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
depends on what you want to do ,

wide open blast in sand/hillclimbs get rid of the dr before the guy changes his mind ;)

if you just trail riding in tight woods for a mere mortal like myself the dr would probably be a much more forgiving ride.

92cr

May 18, 2002
I used to own an 86 CR500 and now own a 91 KX500.I would go for it especially if he throws some cash on top.That way you can upgrade suspension or whatever else you want to do.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I'm on the band wagon with the gang.

I got back to offroad riding (after a 20 yr or so abscence) on a KX500. I'm so glad I've had the chance to ride one of these machines. And all I do is ride trails and climb hills in eastern Ohio. Heck, most of my hours are spent tailing my 6 yr old on his PW80.

But when I do get a chance to git on it, there's more than enough to git. :aj: Read Woodsy's reply in this thread:

CLICK HERE

Ya and I know you're looking at a CR500 and I'm talking KX. But open classers are an animal all of their own.

Last edited:

D J Tim

Jul 6, 2003
Imagine taking a brand new CR250 and putting a cr500 engine in it. I will be ordering one from "service Honda" tomorrow morning. Check them out B-4 you do anything,you may want to take out a loan and buy an openclasser. guys with 250s port, polish,pipe,jet,change gear ratios,compression.......

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
About the top-end I just did mine on my 2000 CR-500 after about 100 hours of sand riding and judging by the piston condition I still could have got another 30-40 hours on the piston. Also, like was said before these non power valve bikes are easy to work on I think total for the top end including new Wiesco piston was $150.00 and it took me about 2 hours. The 500 is a great bike bought this bike new in 2000 ride about 4-5 times a month so far the bike has been great with no problems except a broken clutch cable.

Top Bottom