timo511

Mar 20, 2009
Hey
My clutch was lurching as i think all RM's seem to do so i pulled it apart to take a look....everything looks pretty good but i noticed that the nut holding the clutch basket on was loose.
I bent the tab washer and was able to take it off with no tools at all. The thrust washer that goes behing the basket has a groove in it so i am going to replace it.
I was wondering if i should change the bearing and holder as they probably suffered some abuse with the nut being loose.

Could anything else be damaged from this?

Also will it work when tightenning the nut that holds the basket back on will it work to just put the bike in gear and have someone sit on it?? i would rather not buy the special holding tool if possible

thanks
Tim

aaronnaland

Jan 19, 2009
grab the shaft and see if it wiggles and if it doesnt there is no reason that the bearing should be changed. If your gunna have someone do that just have them step on the brake some bikes it kinda works and others not so well.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Most models are put on with an impact gun? Check the torque specs. That washer that bends up and holds the nut securely, should be replaced often. Damage, probably none. Unless its been abused for a while. Check the gears for abnormal wear from the basket wobbling.

timo511

Mar 20, 2009
Hey i was just looking over everything and found that the release bearing does have play in it...... probab;y need a new one

I think i am luckey though cause i noticed that i have small cracks on my clutch basket near the fingers.....on almost all of them....it may have been a ticking time bomb.... I measured the fricion plates and they are pretty much brand new.....

I put pictures of it up (hope it works). I think the basket is garbage but a second opinion would be nice since this is the first dirt bike clutch i have had out.

If so any sugestions as to what the best/cheapest one is to get?

Attachments

• crack 3.JPG
    crack 3.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 319
  • crack11.JPG
    crack11.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 307

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Ummmm, are you SURE they are not just casting marks? The second shot did look like cracks though. Or, look up wiseco and see their basket.

that was my thought as well. it would be nice to see it in person.

-mike.

timo511

Mar 20, 2009
Ok....couple of questions then...

If i buy a hinson basket do I also have to buy the outer hub from hinson as well??
Also I noticed that the hinson baskets do not have the primary gear on them. On the old one it is riveted on with big steel rivets...is it hard to install the new hub on the primary gear?? Does the hub come with new rivets??
I went to a few bike shops around town and they all said they don't have the tools to do it....

Also i found to buy a stock suzuki clutch basket it is only 240 from the dealer and it comes assembled with the primary gear on it....is that a bad idea??

I want a good clutch but want to keep costs down as much as possible....

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
timo511 said:
Ok....couple of questions then...

If i buy a hinson basket do I also have to buy the outer hub from hinson as well??
Also I noticed that the hinson baskets do not have the primary gear on them. On the old one it is riveted on with big steel rivets...is it hard to install the new hub on the primary gear?? Does the hub come with new rivets??
I went to a few bike shops around town and they all said they don't have the tools to do it....

Also i found to buy a stock suzuki clutch basket it is only 240 from the dealer and it comes assembled with the primary gear on it....is that a bad idea??

I want a good clutch but want to keep costs down as much as possible....

If you buy the Hinson new, it will come with instructions and all the stuff you need to put the gear from the old basket on the new one.

You won't need the inner hub, I'm running a Hinson basket with the stock hub.. works fine.

Look on the auction site, you may get lucky like I did and find a basket that already has the gear installed.

I'm guessing that those shops just didn't want to do the work. I don't think it takes any special tools.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You should get many miles out of an oem completely new clutch. If you are abusive, or installed wrong, the hinson will not help it. What usually goes is the outer, then inner hubs.

timo511

Mar 20, 2009
I think I am going to go with the OEM Suzuki basket....it's the cheapest and easiest....and I'm not racing or anything.....just out to have fun...

Top Bottom