BooBoo

Dec 28, 2004
I just picked up a 2001 CR250 that has a new top end and bottom end (have the reciepts and talked to the shop to verify the work) and I'm wondering what mods would work on it best. I see the stuff you guys have posted for the 02' 250 like getting a PWK carb and V-force or Boysen reed cage, would those same mods apply to mine? The suspension is stock and I'm a 6'3" 215 lb intermediate vet MX'r. I have yet to ride the bike on a track but I have a sneaking suspicion that the suspension isn't gonna cut it for me. What is the trick set up for the 01 250 suspension? Anything else you guys can think of, throw it at me.

I'm going against the flow as I'm going from a long string of 4 strokes (YZF400, YZF426, CRF450) to a two stroke so I have to catch up on all the 2 stroke tricks again...

Thanks Fellas,
Pat

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
On that bike, the suspesnion will respond w/ clicker adjsutments and spring choices for your weight/speed IF it is in good working order. It may be time for a rebuild anyway, then its just a matter of picking a reputable shop/tuner.

The carb was a mess in 01, but unlike the 02's it could be jetted clean w/ normal jetting changes and slide selection. A PWK will make it easier, but it wasn't madatory.

Probably the biggest thing I would focus on given your height is opening up the seatin/bar/peg area. Stock it will feel a bit cramped for you. I would look at a tall seat (SDG, Moose) some bar risers w/ rubber mounted clamps and possible some Fastway pegs to drop the pegs downa bit (they are reversible for height adjustment).

I really liked my 01, the engine ran strong, handled great and was a good overall bike.

CR3999

Feb 28, 2000
Depending on what you race, I put a V force and a gnarly pipe on it. Cut the slide in the carb,jet it. Then put the right springs on the shock and forks. dail it in and ride the piss out of it. It really is a good bike. I have raced harescrambles on it since I bought mine and love it. But I am getting an 05 just because I can.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
things the magazines recommended that year was to get a shift lever off the 01 cr 125 and put on it since its bigger. they left the forks virtually stock but went to a 5.1 rear spring. Most thought it needed a torq pipe and an extra rear tooth. They said the boysen rad valve cleaned up the bottom end jetting and didnt bog as much. A power valve spacer seemed a waste of time, and the recommended honda hp4 gear oil. I have my eye on one also, and im sure i'll add a flywheel weight. ive heard a 10oz will not require using the cover spacer, but not 100 percent sure on that. Ive heard that pipe spacers can give a little more bottom power on that bike. let us know how you like it..

BooBoo

Dec 28, 2004
I picked up the bike Friday and spent the next 4 hours tweaking on it. The bike already has a PWK on it which surprised me but the bike fell flat on it's face when you would go wide open. The jetting on it was a 190 main, 42 pilot, 1370 needle and 55 slide. Having looked at the PWK post, I think it's too fat up top (sea level, mid 70's for a temp)but I thought I would throw out the mods to you guys and maybe you can help me sort it out. It has Boysen reed block and a spacer plate as well. I'm gonna yank the reeds and see how they look as once the bike came on the pipe, it was pretty impressive, just getting through the midrange bog was driving me nuts. I have some extra spring sitting around so I'm going to put some .45's in the fork and a 5.1 on the back, hopefully this will help the bike ride up more in the stroke. I was really impressed by how light this bike felt while jumping and hitting the whoops, it corners pretty good but considering the front tire needs to be replaced I was happy with it. My buddies can't believe I'm getting rid of my CRF450 for this bike but it's a blast to ride, my corner speed has already gone up and once the jetting issues are cleared up and I throw in some new springs, it'll be a blast to ride.
I'm getting a SDG tall seat and slapping on my rubber mounted Pro Tapers from my other bike in hopes of getting the ergonomics a little better.

Looking forward to your suggestions, Thanks.

Pat

kuritaro9

Nov 7, 2004
depending on weather and altitude conditions,i would try a 178main 42-45pilot and a 1368n or a 715-289 needle.im at sea level with tem ranges from 32-90 degrees.it the winter i run a 180-185main and a 48 pilot.my bike runs preety good with those settings.give it a try as a starting point and go from there.i have never tried the reed spacer plate,so i cant comment on that.but im running a pc pipeand silencer and a boyesen rad valve.i had a v force before and i have to say i liked it better than the boyesen.great bike though....i still cant bring myself to buy one of the newer generation hondas cause this motor is so much fun to ride and easy to maintain...have fun.

kuritaro9

Nov 7, 2004
oh ya,i also run 4 pipe spacer washers.im not sure why i do it,cant say that it does much.im just lazy and havnt taken out the xtras.someone told me it helped the low end,but i cant say it did for sure. :)

BooBoo

Dec 28, 2004
Thanks Kit. I rejetted it tonight with a 180 main and 42 pilot jet. I'm sure that will help make the bike crisper. That's a pretty wide temperature spread. hope that helps but the major thing I found was a 2" crack in the exhaust pipe where the front bolt mounting bracket had let loose. I knew the bike sounded louder than the other 2 strokes, but I couldn't visually see it and I didn't feel like tearing into too much at the track as when I wasn't riding I had to keep tabs on our daughter (wife rides too). I pulled the pipe off tonight and found it. I'v heard the spacers help some just like Nevada 6 said about the power valve spacer supposedly helps but it is discernible to the average rider. I put in the heavier fork springs .45's and serviced the forks, which were pretty nasty, and put on a 5.1 in the back. I greased all the bearings and looked at the reeds, which looked fine. Thanks for the help and advice...

500guy

Aug 4, 2004
I loved my '01 and wish I had kept it. Only minor issue was lack of bottom. If you search under the mods area, you will find some comments that the porting was a mess that year. I would have sent mine of for mo better from Eric....

BooBoo

Dec 28, 2004
I'll give him a buzz when I yank the cylinder next time. I have heard mixed reviews about getting the bike ported. I have heard some say it makes the bike harder to jet...

Top Bottom