Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Hey guys, I think I may have found my new 2002 KTM 250 EXC. I know its not a 2003, but the price is so right I think I am going to go for it. My question is with the tranny. I noted on the ktm site that the 03 have the wide ratio. Is this the same for the 2002? Will this thing lug down in the tight stuff and still pull out?

Thanks - I am startin to get pretty excited :) :)
Lew

copyguy

Dec 9, 1999
I recently went from a 96 KDX 200 to a 2002 250EXC. They were running some great deals on them that I couldn't pass up. The 2002 models do have the wide ratio tranny. I do believe that 1st through 3rd are the same as the MXC but 4th and 5th are higher. With stock gearing the KTM 1st gear feels like the KDX 2nd gear. You might want to gear it down if you ride a lot of woods. 5th gear on the KTM feels faster than 6th on the KDX so this shouldn't be a problem.

The KTM lugs down extremely well. It just pulls a lot harder everywhere than my KDX did and I had all the mods except for porting. The KTM doesn't seem to want to wheelie as bad as the KDX for some reason but the bike gains ground speed incredibly quick in comparison.

The only thing you might miss would be the comfy seat on the KDX everywhere else the KTM is hands down a better bike. That is, if your idea of better is faster.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Well my total idea of better is not faster. I am hoping that everything I hear about the ktm is true in respect to the components and all being higher quality and the bike more rider friendly in the rough stuff. My hope is that this ktm will alow me to ride (my style) without having to use as much grunt effort on my part. Any comments are appreciated..
Lew
Lew

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Lew,
I too have the 02' EXC250. I am biased, as this bike has made me that way, but I have ridden trials courses with tree stumps a foot or bigger and pulled over them without problem in first gear, the bike is nimble and well balanced, suspension felt stiif to me at first (new bike), it took about three to four rides for the bike to feel less stiff. Now the suspension feels right on and I can whoop without feeling like I am going over the bars. The frame is very ridgid, with I think adds to the secure handling. With the right tires, S12-Michelins, you can steer the bike with the back end, if that makes sense. Long straights will pin your eyes back in their sockets if you pin it, your option there. As I said, I am biased but this is the best bike I have owned.
Good Luck

copyguy

Dec 9, 1999
Lew,

The KTM definitely has better quality components. The only thing I have added is handguards. With the KDX I had a lot of aftermarket parts and a huge list of other things I wanted.

The KTM's engine is much more capable, you won't have a problem with that. The KTM will be better in the rough stuff if you are going fast, it's just that if you are casually picking your way through rocks or trees I think the KTM will work you more. 3rd gear and below was great on the KDX, at that speed the suspension was smooth and the bike was comfortable. It even felt like it turned quicker than the KTM but I haven't set my suspension up yet.

When speed increases or you push the bike harder the KTM can handle it much better, the suspension soaks up the big hits well and the bike seems more stable along with being a lot faster. Bottom line is that I would never go back, but your going to have to make that decision based on the type of riding you do.

You might describe exactly what you mean by "grunt and effort", is it a chassis shortcoming or power? or both?

Just one more thought to ponder, if you really want the bike and it's a good deal how bad will you kick yourself later if you pass it up? I passed up a great deal on a 300exc last year and was mad about it until the 250exc was on sale this year.

Good luck

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
copyguy
My biggest complaint with the kdx is the suspension and how I have to fight it when hauling butt and cornering, whoops, etc. I know there are enhancements I can do, and my list is long. It seems however (from what I am told) the kdx will never be as comfy as the ktm even with the mods. After reading Fred T.'s ride report on his new ktm I am just chomping at the bit for one and I have a deal that is real sweet. Over all I am a very experienced intermediate rider. I race the c class at hs with the objective of just finishing, but I do push hard and like to have fun.
Lew

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
As Nike says Lew..."just do it!"

ktmatk

Apr 7, 2002
The seat is hard as a brick - comfy definately doesn't come to mind. Enduro Engineering makes soft foam that fixes that, however. The suspension is a little stiff for the 1st 100 miles, too. I do think it's the best offroad bike you can buy (any exc), however. Everything is there; no need to add anything, and it works well. After breaking in motor & suspension, set sag on shock, put on a 13 tooth countershaft sprocket, (think about soft foam), decide which of the 4 positions (!) you like for the handlebars, and go have fun. I can't believe what you have to do to a YZ or CR to perform as well - big gas tank, spark arrestor, o-ring chain, suspension revalve, some kind of odometer, lights of some kind, flywheel weight - and you still have a bike with a close ratio transmission. Why bother? The only way you won't like it is if by comfy you mean something like an XR 250 or 400 - soft seat and soft suspension and slow and no fun trying to ride aggresively (although I've seen it done).

copyguy

Dec 9, 1999
Lew,

Based on the description of your riding I would suggest you go for it. At speed there is no comparison. Don't wait too long and miss the good deal though.

If you go orange give us a report on how you liked the switch.

Later

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
I picked up a 01 250exc last fall on a close out and have not looked back to the kdx. IMO the seat issue is overstated. The advantage of a firm seat is it's easier to move around and easier to feel the edge of traction. Overall the quality of the bike is much higher and your riding will improve as a result. I don't subscribe to the theory that you can buy a game but there is little to compare between the ktm and kdx. My kdx had full mods and the ktm was sooo much better stock I wondered why I spent so much time and money on the kdx. The kdx was like herd of cats compared to the ktm which felt like a laser guided missile.

drjperrin

Aug 5, 2002
Hey Lew

I have ridden KDX's in their early years (80's) and then was out of dirt bikes for 15 years. I am 40 years old and recently purchased a 2002 250 EXC. My first impression was that it was a rocket and maybe had gone over my head. However with time in the saddle, I find it gets easier and easier to ride and I am beginning to appreciate its attributes. I am 6'2" at 200 lbs. I have changed the bars to a taller model and have added acerbis bark busters. I am considering going to a taller seat foam. I know the seat initially feels like sitting on a board, but you get use to it...then again I ride bicycles a lot and seats dont get any harder than that. The only other mods I have made are some enduro engineering stuff. Clutch lever, guard, rear break disc fin. Good strong stuff that looks good too. Each time I ride the bike I feel like it makes me a better rider. I trail ride, hare scramble and enter the occasional motocross. Its ideal for the first two. For motocross, the suspension could be firmed up a bit and revalved. I spoke to a guy who rides in canadian national enduros and six days and he has put different triple clamps (i forget the off set....19 degrees I think) and he says it make the bike turn way better in tight bush. I can see what he means because if you are not right up on the tank, it tends to push the front quite easily. I'd like to try it but its a fair $ outlay. All that having been said, unless you are a seriously fast rider, i dont think that you would need to add anything to the bike. In real tight trail you need to work the bike and use the clutch to get the best out of it but it rewards you big time. In the end, I dont think you would ever regret the purchase. Everything looks to be quality stuff. Ive had no problems with the exception of a odometer cable coming loose and snapping the end off (check it regularly). Otherwise, I use loctite on key areas (sub frame tended to come loose on mine) an have been problem free. I loved my KDX's in the past, but would never go back.

JP

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I was just down at the KTM shop and they had a EXC250 that they put on a serious diet. No e-start or lights and they put in I beleive SX Cam and Fly wheel, they also put the SX suspension on it. Looked pretty sweet and I bet the shed a few pounds :thumb:

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
I am good. Bad knees preventing me from riding at the moment, but I am getting that part fixed very soon.

Mully

Top Bottom