C.T.D.

Jun 18, 2001
After pretty much deciding on a KX500 I've now started looking at the 380exc. I like how it comes stock with so many of the add-ons that I would want/need for the 500. So now I'm looking for feedback on the 380 since I've never ridden one and don't know anyone who has one. It will be used almost entirely in the desert. Are there any reliabilty issues I'd need to consider? The only KTM I've ever ridden was a 98 250 (exc or mxc, not sure) and I loved the engine but hated the handling. It felt like the front end always wanted to wash out on me. Now this was an unfamiliar bike and not set-up for me, but is this a common trait to KTM's? Any responses would be appreciated.

jw380

Jan 27, 2001
I have a 380.It's biggest advantage over the 500s is the new age chassis and handling.The 500s were designed in the 80s and have the same design and handling today.There is a company that puts a KX500 motor in a 250 frame(not sure of the name)and there is Service Honda who puts a CR500 motor in the alum.frame 250.The CR500AF, as it is called, is about $2000 more than a new 380.There is an article in this month's dirt rider magazine about it.Impressive bike.I like my 380 but am considering a four stroke due to the massive power of the 380 in these eastern woods causing danger to my physical being.She's a rrrripper!

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
I'm a large sized A enduro rider. Competed on a KX500 for 3 yrs. Have owned three 380exc's since. We will be team racing the 380 this weekend over at BITD's Laughlin HS. The 380 is worlds better than the KX500 except for pure desert work, then the downsides of the KX500 are worth the extra 10hp.

As far as displacements, I would only recommend the 380 (or larger) if you fit at least two of the following three requirements.
1. You race alot of desert, and you are an expert or better.
2. You are a fatboy >220lbs.
3. You ride at high elevations, >>7000' regularly.

So, does this describe you?

C.T.D.

Jun 18, 2001
JW380 & Buckholz, thanks for the replies. Buckholz, to answer your question, I primarily ride in the desert and while I wouldn't call myself an expert I am pretty fast. Actually my KX250 is usually topped out because I ride with an XR600 and a KX500 and we don't ride slow. I've got quite a bit of time on the KX500 and that's why I was going to get one, but I've always been fond of the KTM's. Oh and by the way I'm 235 lbs without gear, which I don't consider fat, I'm husky ;)

Top Bottom