StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
Hey folks, my buddy just picked up a 02' CR250 (it was a steal and he couldn't pass up the price) and has been modifying her up for some tight woods riding in Jersey. (I know perfect bike for that right!?!) He has installed an FMF Gnarly, Q-silencer, 12 oz. fly weight and brought a jetting kit and changed out some of the jetting as per the instructions manual with the kit (probably MX specs I would think.). The bike doesn't want to chug in the bottom of 2nd or 3rd but he has a 13 (F) 47 (R) configuration on his sprockets so that would make sense to me, but the hit on the power band is arm ripping and I'm not sure (other than having the head ported) how to get it to calm down a bit. I know how to make a woods bike perform nicely but have never converted a MXer to a wood machine so I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions? Other than trading it in for a woods bike(I told him that one already he didn't like it very much.) :laugh:

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
We race Harescrambles with "converted" MX bikes. All the mods you have listed are pretty standard. Make sure to get the jetting dialed in. After jetting is spot on you could put the needle one clip higher and reduce some of that arm ripping snap. The gearing we use is 13/49, and 13/48 for more open stuff. I have no personal experience with this product, but I read a lot of people like it, the G2 cam throttle. It is supposed to smooth out the throttle delivery.

Suspension set up is most valuable in controlling your bike. After that being very familiar with how the bike reacts, running a gear high through the nasties and get proficient at clutch use.

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
Dump the Mikuni and put a Keihin carb from a 2000 model CR on the bike. Jetting will be much easier and will not need to be changed as often. There is a LONG thread on this conversion somewhere on this site. I changed my 2001 model over to the Keihin and it made a big difference in low to midrange response. You can get the complete carb for around $150 from servicehonda.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I run 13/50 gearing on my '02. Works great in tight stuff.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i run 13/51 for mx. i also dumped the mikuni.

that being said, go ahead and trade it for a woods bike.

soulmate33

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 29, 2004
darringer said:
I run 13/50 gearing on my '02. Works great in tight stuff.
I agree with the with the gearing change to at least a 50T.
I run a 13/51 on my '02 CR250 in tight technical 1st gear only type trails. The 49T required way too much clutch work for the type of powerband delivery.

mx547 said:
i run 13/51 for mx.
I'm surprised you can run this for MX. I tried a 51T and had to shift too much. The first 2 gears were non existent. Currently I run a 49T. I'm contemplating going to a 48T.

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
I'm curious if anyone knows what the stock spring rate on the fork springs are?
Even with compression settings it seem ultra harsh and wanted to know how heavy
it is stock. Thanks

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Stock spring rate is .43kg. At 160-170lbs, they are perfect for me. Make sure you bleed the air out of the forks before each ride. It makes a noticeable difference in the small chop.

Top Bottom