dirtcrazzy

May 5, 2002
I say the.....

I would say the kdx 220 is is proven to be light and well maintenice it is fast and is perfact for the trails. THe klx 300 is also a powerful bike but if u are looking for the torque but still a trail bie the kdx is perfact the klx has more of the bottom end and has a lot of romping power. Personally i like the kdx 220.

ammomac

Nov 19, 2001
my 13 year old son is riding an 01 KLX300 and his good friend has the KDX220. I've got a lot of seat time on both and have watched the boys switch back and forth.

KLX300 is easier to ride, you can chug it right down to idle, and it'll scoot when you start twisting the grip. It handles pretty good and turns real nice. Doesn't require any "clutch work"

KDX220 doesn't seem to have the off idle pull, but get the rpms up a bit and it flies. You can tell its lighter, but it also sits a bit taller. Overall, the KDX is a "faster" bike.

Depends on you and where you ride I guess. My personal choice is the KLX as I don't care for the premix routine. My son likes his KLX better as he is a fairly new rider and dosen't grasp the "work the clutch" required on the 2smoke.

Both handle nice, both will rip through the woods and I'd really be happy with either.

THings that I don't like about the 2stroke for example are the break in procedure out lined in the manual. 2 heat cycles, tear the top end apart and clean up everything and put in new rings, another heat cycle and then you can ride. Riiiiight. I really want to take the motor apart on a new bike :scream:

Dollar for dollar I think you get the KDX at a better value if you accept the 2 stroke maintenance.

DirtDawger

Jun 24, 2000
Either one is a good trail bike. Both are relatively easy to ride. The KDX does offer better "race potential". A good source for info on the KDX is Canadian Daves forum on this site. I would also point out that the 2 stroke high maintance argument while holding some truth is usually over played. Changing rings and cleaning your power valve can usually be done in about 4hrs. by your average do it your selfer. It gets even easier with practice. I know people who have KDX's that go years without changing rings (not recomended) and they just kep chugging. :moon:

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
KDX - no doubt - save yourelf the extra weight, and thet wear like your favorite jeans! I've owned 3 - can't beat them for the price.
Good Luck

Top Bottom