swamprat

Aug 22, 2002
I have a low mileage kx 85 that is on its second crank in two months. Good gas,good oil.32:1. No air leaks and good clean filters.The last crank had a wiseco hotrods kit installed by a reputable shop.It lasted three rides and one race.Are there any defects or tips available to eliminate this problem. I am thinking there is some inherent problem with this crank and wonder if replacing it with a new Kawasaki unit will solve this problem. All input will be appreciated.

Binky

Aug 5, 2002
My kid has a 2002 KX85 that was ridden and raced all of 2002,Not a problem.
Same for about 15 other kids that ride KX85's at our local club/track.

I do know that our Kawi guru (Tom Zont) has told me that he prefers to
never rebuild the kaw (65 - 85) cranks when the rod needed to be replaced
because they never were quite right afterwards, He has convinced me
to just do a new crank/rod assembly when the time comes.
You could call him at Great Escape Kawasaki for more info...

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
Usually if the crank goes that quickly after being rebuilt it's due to improper reassembly.

Take Binky's advise and simply buy a new crank assy. It's less expensive, in most cases, in the long run.

swamprat

Aug 22, 2002
Thanks guy's. That is the way I am going with it. I ordered the new crank assembly today. After measuring every point I could think of I agree with the summation of improper crank assembly. What I can't figure out is why the first one went out. The counterweights on the expensive trot-line weight were not of uniform build and anything that needs to be this precise should measure the same. When I get the new one in I will measure and compare.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
We had a lower connecting rod bearing go out on our RM85 due to the springs on the exhaust pipe falling off due to breakage during a really dusty race. Enough dust and crap was sucked into the motor from the exhaust port to ruin the bearings.

Top Bottom