bschleuning

Aug 20, 2003
Just a few quick questions about this kx125 2002, just bought it at a decent price, bike is very clean and runs awesome, somethings that i noticed and wonered if they are normal or not, first is that when you put it in gear it seems like it clunks pretty hard, the clutch is fine and has clean tranny oil in it, and it shifts good when going thru the gears, second is i noticed a greyish/black substance floating in the radiator, not a lot , the radiators are clean other than a bit of this floating at the top, third the overflow tube for the power valve leaks a few drops when you stop and park it, i just changed the tranny fluid and there is no signs of coolant in there, changed the anti-freeze also, this bike was purchased in denver co. and jetted accordingly, The elevation where i ride it is about 1500 feet less than denver, the bike has no bog or dead spots, its wide open right now when pinned would a over rich condition cause the powervalve overflow to drip, any known problems with this bike ill ride it awhile and see if the little bit of black stuff comes back in the radiator, or coolant finds its way into the gearcase, as far as the hard clunk when put into gear anyone have any comments or answers..they'll be greatly appreciated...thanks

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I have the same bike. The stock jetting very rich. It's normal to get a bit of exhaust spooge out of the powervalve vent tube the same as out of your muffler, I wouldn't worry about that. Just get the bike jetted for your own altitude and riding style. I don't know what that black stuff in the radiator is, but it doesn't sound good. Maybe the coolant is old, and if so the top end certainly is too. My bike has been 100% reliable, no weird problems or anything. Good luck! :)

kawaguy

Jan 12, 2005
the reason why you bike clunks when you put it in gear is because your tranny oil is to cold and thick, when your engine warms up the oil will heat up and thin out and the clunk should not be as bad, also you could try automatic transmition fluid in your tranny, that usually stops the clunk, and make sure your clutch is adjusted properly. i have a 1999 kx125 and it clunks also but i wouldnt worry about it, just make sure you give the bike time to get warm before you ride it.

kawaguy

Jan 12, 2005
the greyish/black substance floating in the radiator could possibly be that the bike has had a recent top end job and the gasget glue might have worked its way into the cooling system, or the bike might not be properly sealed around the top and bottom of the cylinder and burnt carbon and oil could be also working its way into the cooling system, i would check that the head has got new gasgets that are sealing properly.

Top Bottom