Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Ok, had an XR650R for dual sporting and longer rides, hated it, too many problems.... footpegs falling off, clutch wear, bushing problems,...

Love my KTM two strokes for racing, but want a dependable four stroke for longer rides during Colorado adventure trips.

Figure the 426WR might be much more to my liking....

If I buy a 2002, any problems/weak areas I should look for?

Thanks
Mark Buckholz
40+ A enduro rider, owner of 2002 KTM380exc and 1993 Yam TDM850

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Hey Mark

I came off a big XR before I bought my WR. Needless to say, the power to weight ratio is waaaay better on the WR, it feels 50lbs lighter, revs to the moon, has more power than most people need, and handles very nice, after setting the clickers. The suspension is tops, and can take all you can give it. After a year w/ my WR, I havent had any problems w/ it, at all. I have done the little mods, have ridden it hard, and have only encountered a loose spoke. Thats not too bad for hammering it all year.

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
If you are buying new you might want to consider the 2002 Husqvarna TE450

Its only a four hundred dollars more than the WRF does not have starting woes (has e-start) and is slightly lighter (237 lbs. dry)

Check it out at http://www.husqvarnausa.com

E-start and Husky quality would be enough to sway me if I had new bike cash.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
One, uh.... thanks but I'll pass. I'm looking for bulletproof, not gonna race (starting less of an issue), basically a complement to my 380exc racebike.

Not ready for an italian bike....

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
I've heard nothing but good things as far as quality for the Huskies so I'm not sure what you mean by bulletproof.

And I think Husky is a Sweedish bike if I'm not mistaken.

More popular doesn't always mean better, could be that marketing/advertising is just greater.

But it is your money, so all I was doing was giving you something to research about before locking in a decision.

Good Luck and enjoy what ever you get. I envy you, since I have never bought a brand new dirt bike before, always had to settle for a used one.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by One Dollar
And I think Husky is a Sweedish bike if I'm not mistaken.

Way back when it was, but it's been VERY Italian since Cagiva bought the company.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Geez, if I hear the nonsense that WR's are hard to start one more time.......:think

I think the 250F's are giving all the other Yammies a bad rap!

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
For dual sporting, figure a RFS is the wrong way to go.

Plus if all my moron friends haven't been able to dick up there YZF's with no maintenance, I figure they must be pretty bulletproof.

So, what would I want to do to a new YZFWR? Skid plate, pipe protector, handguards and a rear disk protector are the normal fixes for a new two stroke. Do I even need a skid plate on the new Yam? No pipe protector obviously...

Yamahike

Dec 10, 2001
I have a 2001 WR426 and don't have anything bad to say about the bike. Once I learned what my needed to be started I never kicked this bike over more than 2 times trying to start "COLD 35" usally only once. I have had it down a few times picked it back up kicked it and gone. It is perfect for the Rampart Mountain trails that I have ridden. It has the power to tackle the biggest of obstacles up, down over under or through Fast and Slow.

The 2002 is probably only better.

A few Quick Mods
Nothing that cost anything

WRocomotive
My skill level is the biggest problem the bike has.

Ike of Colo

WR426
TTR125 L
PW50

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Ike has it right

Ive said this for a while. For the $, the WR/YZ is a hard bike to beat. Only the mighty 520 holds up to them.

BTW, I had an all out rip down a fire road two weeks ago, and the 520 only started to pull away from me way up high in the 70mph range. So that says a bit about the engine as well.

Cheers :uh:

Had to use that new icon!

JAMRACING

Apr 21, 2000
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I take holeshots at dead engine start Hare Scrambles against E-start KTM's and DRZ's, so don't spread hard starting rumours...
All the improvments (except one) i've done to my bike were free:
Pro Circuit pipe and header (R304 silencer and oversize header) drop several pounds and looks waaaay better...
YZ timing
gray wire cut (better mid-range, like it needs it...)
jetted, and has BK mod
Valves checked every three races
Semi-synthetic oil
As long as you change the oil often enough, and don't neglect the valves, it will hold up, period.

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
i too am disappointed with the 'hard starting' rumours. the bikes came jetted too rich from the factory, so once they are correctly jetted, and the bikes are run in, there is no starting dramas. Even the 'starting drill' everyone talks about is so easy, that it isn't even a drill (standard KLX300, now there's a starting drill). When time comes to consider a new Yamaha four stroke, starting shouldn't be an issue.

Top Bottom