2003 RM250: Which tranny oil to reduce clutch chatter?

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
I know clutch "chatter" is an issue with this bike. After a 20-30 minute moto when the bike is hot, the clutch gets real "grabby". It's most noticable when starting out after a short break. I plan on getting an after market basket/pressure plate to solve this problem for good. But in the mean time, is there a tranny oil that will help reduce some of the chatter?

I have used Castrol 10W40 and Havoline 10W40, both are not energy conserving oils. So I don't think friction modifiers are the cause.

Thanks, Steve.

xcracer72

Uhhh...
May 28, 2006
basket and plate won't do a thing. i went full hinson and then back to stock after they wore out. and they wore out fast.
sounds like a warped part somewhere

eg when they get hot they will warp and then when they coos they willturn to their original shape.

I am speaking mostly about the metal plates in your clutch

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You may well find an oil that gives you the impression of a better feeling run, but I have to agree withxc racer here. If your machine is in sound condition, the oil shouldn't make a dramatic difference, althought some will make the shift feel different.

Shell Rottella T 15w40 will work just fine in a sound machine, and is affordable.

The shift of a Type F ATF may feel different than you are used to, but this type of fluid is very good at handling heat swings. It lacks some extreme pressure additives of some fluids, and should be chaged out ever ride or two...but it may well suit you until you get your mechanics squared away. If nothing else, for the way it handles high hear better than many engine oils.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Thanks guys,

I want to get through our last few rides before adding any new parts. Planning on refreshing everything next month, ie... tires, clutch, topend...

Our club rides almost every weekend, rides are from 9am-4pm. I ride the Mx track for about 4 hours a weekend. I am religious about changing my oil and filter each ride, 10W40.

I spent a few hours reading my search results about ATF type F vs single/multi wt auto oils. My only concern about switching is how the two lubricants differ; additives, heat dissipation and pressure resistance.

I prefer to know why something works, facts rather than spouted conjecture. I will give the ATF a try. I enjoy gaining factual mechanal knowledge as much as I do riding.

Thanks again, Steve.

P.S. I do have a torque wrench, a micrometer, and feeler gauges. And I do use them, lol.

Top Bottom