kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
I just picked up a 2003 yz250 from an auction this morning and upon reviewing the bike I noticed some major problems.
The bike had been wrecked hard. If you look at the front part of the frame towards the top you see buckling. The guy must have endoed on a huge triple and upon impact bent the front part of the frame. It buckled in about 1 inch. The wheel is a little bent and the axle bolt in bent. The forks are good.

heres what i wanna do.
cut out the buckled part and weld in a new peice. Im a very good welder so I feel i can do pretty good weld job to make it stable and safe.

what do ya'll think?
thanks

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
What???

kdxtodd said:
I just picked up a 2003 yz250 from an auction this morning and upon reviewing the bike I noticed some major problems.
The bike had been wrecked hard. If you look at the front part of the frame towards the top you see buckling. The guy must have endoed on a huge triple and upon impact bent the front part of the frame. It buckled in about 1 inch. The wheel is a little bent and the axle bolt in bent. The forks are good.

heres what i wanna do.
cut out the buckled part and weld in a new peice. Im a very good welder so I feel i can do pretty good weld job to make it stable and safe.

what do ya'll think?
thanks

I didn't see anything.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
kdxtodd said:

heres what i wanna do.

what do ya'll think?
thanks

Well, if you are the only one that will be riding it, I don't see much of a problem. And I would make sure that if anyone other than you ever rides this bike, that person knows full well what sort of repairs were made to it.

Personally, I would not be very interested in riding a bike that has had extensive frame rewelding, Unless I had good evidence that the person doing the welding was expert in welding that type of metal and backed up that job with liability insurance.

Just my $.02

Of course, in most instances my opinion has proven to be mostly useless. ;)

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
well I had a buddy who is an expert welder do the job. we heated it up and bent in back to shape and welded a piece of steel on it. Better than new! Im gonna try it out today. wish me luck so that i dont kill myself.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
What was your whole point anyway?

You never posted a pic of what you were talking about. So your on your own, and you did what you wanted...without input from the board. So what was the point of your posting?

Top Bottom