Votes: 5 45.5%
  • NO DEAL - I would pass.

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

omaits

May 23, 2005
2004 CRF450r for $3300? A deal???

I am searching for a solid 450 that isn't going to break the bank. I am fairly new to dirt bikes so I thought I would get a couple opinions.

I found a 2004 CRF450r for $3300.

Here is the list of mods...

1. Re-valved Suspension by DGS or DPS (whatever!)
  2. Skid plate
  3. Hydraulic Clutch
  4. Larger capacity clutch cover
  5. radiator guards
  6. fat bars w/ riser clamps
  7. tall seat
  8. white plastic
  9. new tires
  10. new chain and sprockets

Maintenance:
  1. Valves shimmed twice since new
  2. New timing chain
  3. New rings

I have yet to see the bike, so I can't vouch for its condition. However, considering it is overall pretty good condition...what is the verdict...DEAL OR NO DEAL?

Last edited:

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
That doesn't sound terribly low to me for a 3 year-old bike. New you can get them all day long for 6500 and I would say they easily lose 2 grand the first year alone. Not a terrible price but certainly not a steal imo.

Thumper96

Sep 3, 2005
Depending on where your from i have a 04 CRF450 for 3000 obo the suspensions done valves were just done good tires oil change every other ride it got troy Lee graphics let me know will deliver

lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
Here in the Southeast, $3300.00 would be a good deal on an '05. It would be about the most someone would pay for an '04. However, pricing varies greatly across the country, so where you live makes a difference. We have '06's going for $4K around here.

That bike has a lot of extras, but most of the time, extras don't increase the value of the bike to anyone except the guy who owns it (or you if they were extras you would add anyway). Re-valved suspension is a plus if you and the guy you are purchasing from weigh roughly the same and ride at the same level. Otherwise, it may be detrimental to you as the new owner.

On the maintenance side of things, I know Rich and Eric both recommend that valves be replaced after 2 re-shims (out of spec for the third time) to prevent catastrophic failure. Some guys don't live by this and get away with it. Others spend big bucks replacing the head, valves, cylinder, and sometimes cases, when a valve breaks because of fatigue. When I look for used 4 strokes, I go ahead and add $300-500 to the price, figuring on replacing the valves in short notice unless they have been replaced with stainless.

I don't mean to sound negative here, and for all I know, this may be a fantastic buy. But you said you didn't want to break the bank, so you should go into this with your eyes WIDE open!

TeXas_MXer

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2006
That's not a bad price! I would offer $3000 even, and if the seller is dropping the sport for good, I would also demand all of his riding gear as well! haha. Even if it doesn't fit! Throw it on e-bay and sell it. Squeeze every penny out of the deal!

Top Bottom