givi1999

Apr 13, 2008
im about to purchase a 06 crf 450 from a buddy for 5000.00.
bike is very clean and has about 10 hours on it. Bike has been sitting for about 6 months in his basement before i fired it up this afternoon. Question is when i started the bike and was waiting for it to warm up i heard this squeak noise coming somewhere from around the motor, so i got down and was watching and listening and i heard it 3 or 4 more times. By the second time i found that it was coming from the transmission and when it squeaked i could see the front sprocket twitch forward a little. WEIRD (almost like it was in gear and i was slowly letting the clutch out). Or almost like a dry bearing or clutch pad. Is this the start to some sort of future problem? Or is this mabee from sitting with out being ran for months. I then rode the bike and everything seemed normal from then on out. brought the bike back and let it idle for about 60 seconds and sounded normal.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
My local honda dealer has a new 06 in the newspaper today for 4999. Sounds like a bearing was dry in the tranny.

XR250rdr

May 27, 2003
Thats a bad thing. Those transmissions are designed to be lubricated by the bike moving around to slosh the oil. The gears do not sit directly in the oil bath.

breezeair

Feb 8, 2006
When I bought my 06 I heard the same noise. It was so loud that everyone around turned to look. It started just after start up and lasted just a few seconds. I added a few ounces of oil to the tranny and it never happened again. If you search this I think you will find several people have had this issue.

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
It sounds like a familiar issue posted in magazines. If the oil level in the tranny is low, you will here a squalling noise. Do not overfill. You should fill up with 22 ounces and you should be good to go.

Spokes574

Top Bottom