KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
I would like some info on 200mxc's '01 esspecially. I just had a '99 yz 125 how will a ktm compare to that? The yz had been revalved by mx tech for my wieght. Would a stock '01 ktm forks be far worse or not all that bad? I am a c class mx rider. Also how do the mxc's compare to the 125 sx's? Is the larger bore the only thing different or is the gearing, suspension etc much different? I ride only mx and wanted to buy a '01-'02 yz250f but I can not find any to buy. I would also like to know how they would compare in power and handling to a yzf. Thanks alot.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
My first bike when I got back into riding was a 99 YZ125 and now I own a 01 KTM 200MXC. Go figure.

The stock forks on the 200 are a bit harsh for woods, but they might well be just the thing for track after you break them in a bit and fiddle with the oil.

As far as engines go the 200 is clearly stronger and has a more predictable powerband than the 125. With stock gearing it will pull a wheelie in 2nd and 3rd without provocation, is capable in 4th and will dig a trench in 1st if you are not careful. It is still a small bore and you have to row the box to really make it sing, but I have to say the 200 is at least twice the bike as the 125 I had.

As far as comparing the 200 to the YZF, it has been a while since I have been on a YZF, but it is clearly a different bike, if only because it is a 4 stroke. They ride different and for me at least, I never really got used to stearing a bike with the front end (4 stroke) vs. rear end (2 stroke). I guess I am too old to learn new tricks.

If you race, you should look at the 250 SX if you are serious, so you will not be giving up 50 CC to everybody else in the class.

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
KTM is coming out with their 250F this year - 05, which Ben Townley has been racing in the world GP circuit to some success. Found 4 YZF 250's listed in PA on Cycle Trader, which is pretty amazing as there is at least four times that around here on any given week, Good luck in your search!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Re the KTM 250RFS, there are about 70 is the US right now for final testing and all are being ridden by factory and top local and regional talent. Kinda figures.

Scotty (my local dealer) said that the SX version will be available in the showrooms (in limited supply) in March with the EXC version expected on the shelves about the first of August.

The other good KTM news is that they are bringing the 640 Adventure back to the US in '05. :yeehaw:

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
I just so happen to be coming off a YZ250F and now ride an 03 200MXC. I won't comment on the suspension since you're talking 01 but motorwise I prefer the F on the track and the 200 in the trails to put it in pretty general terms. 200 takes a little more shifting but it feels like a 125 on steroids.

Handling: 200 hands down. My F was an 02 and it felt top heavy. Had trouble staying in ruts and at times I felt like it was riding me more than I was riding it. The 200 feels very compact and light. I much prefer the handling of the 200, but that conversation bleeds over into suspension which I'm very happy with by the way.

Top Bottom