220 riders with Eric Gorr,RB carb mod. Question..

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
I am doing a spring cleaning on my 98 220. I plan on having the RB carb mod done as well as Eric Gorrs porting and polish. Quite possibly the head machined as well to compliment the new Wiesco piston.

If you have a combination of these mods on your 220, please give me the run down on what you had done and how it worked out for you. Any info that I can get will allow me to specifically target the work I want done for a superior ride this season. Thanks gents...

Brad

dixie

Feb 22, 2003
Hay Brad you may not need those mods, Here are some other option I have a 95 model 200 you may save some money a long the way. Air box lid gone,boyesen reeds 2 stage, you can make the torque ring 1/4 thick, fmf pipe&silencer,set timeing if you want it to bark avance just a fraction past middle, or delay hit retard just a fraction past middle, I to was going to have head work ported and so on , HERES THE TICKET YOU MAY WANT TO LOOK INTO GO to power now web site and look at how it is made. I fabercated my own version a peice of stainless steel and J-B weld this past week I tell you man this thing really ROCK'S Had to ajust jetting a little 40 pilot 3/4 1 turn on air screw 150 main needle in middle clip, A little more over rev pulls harder out of turns, 3 gears wheelie Huge differents in torque, SAVE a ton of cash, Need it any way for the GNCC and Hairscrablems, I am long winded hope this tip helps you out BRAD.

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
I appreciate your reply, but I am looking for more HP now. I have had every bolt on mod for a couple of years now. Yes, they made one hell of a difference from stock, but its time to go bigger in the pocketbook to recieve the most I can scrounge out of my bike.

I think that you need to research the carb mod done by RB a little more. Its more than just a circuit plate JB welded into the throat of the carb. Bore is enlarged, slide is modified, new larger needles and jets are utilized. The end result is more air and more fuel. What does that make? More power. In order to really tap what the new carb has to offer, you need to make the motor flow better. That is where the port and polish comes in. Smooth, sculpted intake and exhaust makes the mixtures flow easier, without such turbulence. Milling the head raises compression, and with the combination of all these, you cannot duplicate the kind of HP increase you will recieve with a bolt/JB weld on. Of course, you could always bolt on a larger motor. :)

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
If you do a search, you'll see that these mods have been discussed at length. Dave says the RB Carb mod is one of his favorite all time. I haven't read anything negative about the Eric Gorr "Mo better everywhere" port job. Everyone seems to really like it, well worth the money.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I've had Eric transform my 99' kdx200 into its' present 225cc (port & head mods) as well as the RB carb mod.  The power is fantastic and i've yet to have a kdx rider ride my bike who was not impressed.  I can't say what the mods will do to your 220 as the porting is different to start out from the 200.  I would suggest calling Eric and talking to him yourself as he's an easy guy to talk to and will help guide you if you let him know what you are after.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Just something to consider

The 220 ported is a very different animal than the 200 with the 225 kit RB carb mod included. A look at the port timing reveals why and perhaps Sage or Eric will explain whats going on. The Freddette porting does a good job at extending overrev on the 220 which is the weakest area in my experience. Sage has done some porting on 220's that is worth taking a look at.

Having been there and done that, I suggest you seriously consider a used ktm 200 or 250 rather than drop the coin to up the power on the 220. You will get a lot more than hp.

Of course I am as biased as a converted kdx rider can be but after 18 miles on the KTM I knew I made the right choice.

Hope that's not raining on the parade. ;)

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
No, not raining on my parade at all. I have considered heavily switching to a 300 EXC, but lack the willingness to part with all that money. Since I have to share my extra cash between my 2 passions, the other being an avid skydiver, I will be riding the KDX for years to come. Riding is cheap, and since I already have a bike I should really refrain from going into the KTM dealership. :)

On the other hand, jumping can cost me $250 for a good weekend at the dropzone. And no matter how good of a day that I have EVER had on my KDX, it will never compare to the experience I get from freeflying with a couple buddies. So keeping my current ride is the best choice. Besides after this mod, there isn't much more that I can do to the thing, so its not like I will continue to pour money into the bike. Yeah right. At least I will try. :)

Brad

RakO

Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by KelvinKDX
I've had Eric transform my 99' kdx200 into its' present 225cc&nbsp..."""

HI Kelvin,

Sorry for my bad English.
Are you satisfied with the 225 Kit. I'm looking for mainly low end torque.
Did ERic make the carb RB modification also.?
Did you have any reliability problems ?
Rgds
RakO

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by RakO
Originally posted by KelvinKDX
I've had Eric transform my 99' kdx200 into its' present 225cc ..."""

HI Kelvin,

Sorry for my bad English.
Are you satisfied with the 225 Kit. I'm looking for mainly low end torque.
Did ERic make the carb RB modification also.?
Did you have any reliability problems ?
Rgds
RakO

Rako

Yes - i am completely satisfied with the work Eric has done to my engine.  It gave the KDX more low down power and even a little on top.  I also had RB Designs do the modification to my carburator at the same time (not Eric).  I have had no reliablilty problems and would reccomend to anyone with a KDX200 to do the same.  :thumb:

I have had one issue in that i need to run "good" pump gas or i will get some detonation at high RPM.  I've been thinking about just mixing race fuel/pump gas at 50/50 to take care of this.  As long as i get good gas it is not a problem.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom