Jan 10, 2001
I've been riding my 1998 KDX 220 for about 4 years now and I love it. I just have a craving for something new, in orange flavor. I'm gonna keep my KDX but wondering about a KTM 250EXC for the trails, what do yall think? By trails I mean eastern trails, which consist of tight winding, rocks, trees in your face, steep hills, mud, river crossings and all the other wonderful nasties that provide so much fun. I'd like to have more power, not to much more but more, and still have excellent tractor stump pulling torque like my KDX provides. Will the KTM do this for me? The KTM has all the stuff that I want to put on my KDX already. Great rims, bar, chain, clutch, suspension maybe, not sure. Anyway what are some good sites with lots of info on the 250 exc?

Thanks a lot!

yota

Oct 9, 2001
The 250 EXC is a great bike, but have you considered a KTM 200 exc? It is much lighter and makes almost as much power. It also costs less.

ROADRACER

Oct 7, 2000
I have a 99 250 exc and love it for the trails. I ride with guys that have the 200 and 300 exc.The 300 will tire you out more when its really tight but has more torque than the other two put toghether. The 200 is a bit lighter but to me I feel like I have to over rev it to get it to what the 250 will do.I may be partial but I think the 250exc is the best bike for the tight woods.It has plenty of power and is still flickable. All that being said I think that you'll love the power but may find the suspension a little harsh ( until you get it dailed in) when compared to your KDX.

Good Luck Mike

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I agree with Roadracer except about the suspension. I may be a bit more harsh than the KDX at lower speeds but it'll really impress you when you start to push it hard. We own a 96 KDX200 and I raced a 99 250EXC for 2 years. Both are great bikes but for serious riding, the KTM is so much better. You'll probably have to slip the clutch a bit in tractor mode to keep the power on but it's a great tight woods powerband. The 300 has more down low and is about the same on top as the 250. However, as roadracer said, it will probably tire you out a bit sooner on long rides or races. Either would be great choices, though.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
SandRooster220,

I had a 97 KDX220 for 3 years and replaced it with a 2000 KTM250exc, because all my friends had KTM's. I like the lugging power that the 250 has and I had no problems adapting to it, except the extra power really scared me at first, but I love it now. I had a hard time debating over either the 200 or 250, not knowing anyone with a 200, but rode several 250's and 300's, I settled for the 250. Now, I have ridden two 200's, they feel and handle like a 125, but have more power than a 125. I still wouldn't trade my 250 for a 200. KTM's are a little nortious for getting the jetting correct, but otherwise they are a top notch bike.

I mostly ride woods and trails. Good luck and you won't be sorry.

DahlElama

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2001
Last year I stepped off my 98 KDX200 and onto a 01' Gas Gas XC250. Yeah... world of difference is an undestatement. I know you said you had a taste for Orange, and I almost went that route too... but I sure am glad I went with the Gas Gas. Tons of low end torque and really carves in the tight stuff. They make a killer 200 as well.

Check into the Gas Gas before you make a decision....

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom