BKane

Jul 3, 2002
Had a 98 KDX 200 for a few years and now i want a 250 KTM exc but concerned about the things i hear like : parts availabilty and pricing , jetting problems, and it also seems like the suspension is almost as soft as the kdx ( sat on one at dealer). i am 230lbs plus riding gear,tools and lots of water and im wondering if i would need to firm up suspension. Mostly Pa woods riding so i do want a trail bike with a light and large tank. Limited riding experience and coordination so probably staying away from the 300. Are the 1999's exc's ok ? It basically seems like people love them or hate them(KTM).
Are you guys confused/whats my question ? Wise cracks replies are welcome. Thanks

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
...dont believe everything you read or hear. At 230+# I think ANY bike will be softly sprung for you, although the KTM will be phenomenaly better than the KDX in the fork department. I am about 210# with gear, including tools and water pack and I had mine stiffened up and revalved for woods riding... MUCH BETTER! Great machine, reliable, powerful, and FUN. Not bashing the KDX, I owned a few over the last 11 years, and they are GREAT bikes, but the KTM raises the bar a few notches in quality and performance. These threads are full of info on jetting as well, there are several members here who are "masters of the brass" including "James Dean" They will help you get your bike running good in no time.

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Agreed,
Jetting is not an issue, follow the KTM owners manuel (in the back) it will give you altitude and temp. changes for jetting properly. The 250 EXC is an awesome bike, suspension may be a bit plush for your size, but you can respring the forks easy enough.
Good luck

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
I have a 300 and am a pretty slow rider. There is lots of power, but it comes on smooth and is very easy to control Having more power is, IMHO, a good thing for slower riders. Why? Because it you don't have the power you have to hit the obstacles fast. With the power you hit obstacles slowly and grunt your way up. I think the 300 is easier to ride than my 97 250 KTM.

I would recommend a 300 2stroke or maybe a 400 4 stroke.

If you have a good local dealer parts are no problem. If the local guy doesn't stock much (and this can be a problem for any brand) then there are several folks that stock a lot of parts and will mail order. www.holeshotktm.com, www.cyclezonektm.com and www.ktmworld.com all come to mind.

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
BKane, what the other guys said, but I did pretty much what you are wanting to do - I went from a 98 KDX220 (FMF KG30 Pipe/TC2, 35mm carb) to a stock '00 KTM 250 E/XC.

The KTM was much more powerful everywhere. Don't believe the myths - the so-called torquey KDX220 got smoked by the KTM 250 big time down low and it just got worse for the KDX as the revs increased. The KTM E/XCs use what are essentially full on MX engines with an added flywheel and a wide ratio box.

The suspension was well balanced and was pretty much spot on for me (eastern style woods/trees single track, 210 lbs with gear). Even though the KTM felt physically larger (more cockpit room), it was actually no heavier than the KDX. There are things you can easily do on the KTM - like attacking killer whoops at speed, steep technical hillclimbs, sand washes, dunes and so on - that are often difficult to impossible on a near stock KDX.

The KTM E/XCs are a superb piece of equipment. I thoroughly recommend the move. Check this forum for information on jetting, suspension and other subjects for the model you decide on. There is a lot of info in jetting and the use of single or double taper needles. Properly jetted, based on my experience on rides with a large group of guys, the KTM will easily out-distance the KDX and most other bikes on a tank of gas as well.

ktm_man

Aug 15, 2000
I was also concerned when I bought my first KTM back in 1994. Before that I never really heard of them (not many were riding them in our area back then). I ended up selling both of my KXs and bought the first KTM sold from a new KTM dealer in our area. Before I bought, I called around and asked people about the same type of stuff... My experience with parts availability has been excellent... seems like my dealer knows what parts to stock; wheather it is a kickstand spring, rear brake pedal, or a top end kit. I'm actually having better luck than I did with my previous bikes... This is probably more of a function of a good dealer (versus an average dealer). Anyway, my experience has been positive and am on my 4th KTM.

fragildan

Apr 6, 2002
everything everybody said is true. BUY A KTM. i've had two 250 exc[99&02] and just the quality alone makes it the best value on the market. I've said it many times- my KTM's are the best built,fastest, most comfortable[after you personalize it as you would any bike] bikes available on today's market. In no way bashing any other brand[I've had most of them] but when my non KTM riding buddies ride my 02 I have a real hard time getting it back. and I want it back because I'm stuck riding their bikes. I can't believe how tired I get riding these other bikes for five miles compared to my KTM.

01ktmmer

Jul 2, 2002
A guy your size i think i would buy a 300EXC. I bought a 2001 last year and love the bike. I think its perfect for trail ridding. It doesnt hit as fast as a 250 but you roll the power on and it feals like it will pull for days. Also very easy to keep revs low and just chug over obsticles getting crazy traction. Just my 2 cents.

summitz

May 28, 2002
I have just purchased a 02 400sx that I really liked untill after 15 hours of riding a bolt fell out of the valve train and ruined the motor to a tune of 2200. And KTM will not warranty it. I think the bikes have some issues.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I cannot say enough good about my new 400MXC. My very first bike (which I still own) is a 1971 Penton 125. When I was 20 and 135 lbs, the 125 was enough power to get the job done. Now at 51 and 170+ lbs, the 400 is everything I could want. The only change I am going to make is to add 2 teeth to the rear to improve the low speed performance. I was worried that the increase in scooter weight would be a factor, but riding tight cow trails feels similar to the Penton. My only gripe is the fact that the newer bikes have way too high seat height. The electric starter makes up for the fact that I am often leaning the bike over or on my tippy toes when I stop! Based upon the previous post, I am going to go over the bike to check for loose bolts.

Last edited:

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Jetting isn't much of a problem. Ktm owners are a bit finicky about it because they want to tune the power delivery for the type of riding they do. Once you get it set you are good to go! I suggest a 2 stroke exc 250 or 300

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
I believe there is much more info available for the KTMs and the owners of these bikes are more finicky as are the bikes. I am riding my 2nd 01 300 exc and I am a 230lb vet A rider. I have played more with jetting on these bikes than all of my other bikes combined(and I have had a bunch). As an older guy I like to have my stuff dialed in where a few years back i just got on and twisted the throttle!
If you use the advice of the people onthe boards and fix up a few of the issues, you will have a bulltet proof(I got a 2 stroke, can't speak on the 4 strokes) machine that will last at least as long as the famous KDX motors. Plus you will have much more power and suspension. Prices have come down but really, what parts do you need to buy from KTM. Most aftermarket companies make parts(pistons, sprockets, wheels, etc.) I do like the OEM pistons though. They last forever(I think they are vortex??)
I have logged about 3000 miles on the 1st 300 and it still rode like a brand new bike. I am halfway there on the 2nd bike and it is flawless. BTW, I was one of those guys who would NEVER ride a euro bike cuz they felt funny!

tc13

Jun 16, 2002
please don't sell this bike short!

I have had a susuki, 2 hondas and now a KTM. The KTM is by far the best bike I have ever rode. I am a little less weight (190), but i have no problems with the suspension.

good luck

Bentbars2

Mar 31, 2002
I was in the market for another bike and test riding all the usual bikes. Then I rode a KTM. My mind was made up before I gave the bike back. Ride one and you'll hafta have one,period. I agree with above posts on setup, the bike works so well you notice anything slightly off. All of a sudden I'm being very pickey on jetting and suspension because the thing works so well. It's nice not needing to detune your motorcrossser for the woods and a kdx doesn't come close. Riding a KTM is where it's at, test ride one and the choice will be obvious. Also have had no problem with parts, or prices.
KTMs rule

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
i started riding on a klx300, which i think shares some suspension bits with the kdx. at any rate, the ktm suspension is a whole different league. at 165 lbs, it's dialed for me right out of the box. you'll certainly need to stiffen it.

i got a 300 because i'm not a super experienced rider and i figured it would have the most power down low and mid-range, and not require me to be excessively skilled to trailride. even tho it's my first 2-stroke, it was MUCH faster on the first ride than my klx, even in the really twisty stuff. better suspension and more power almost everywhere.
mw

muleskinner

Jun 12, 2002
Here's my 2 cents worth.... I'm 53 years young and weigh about 210. I ride mostly woods with my grown up sons and son in law but sometimes hit the sand dunes or logging roads. I've had a bunch of bikes in the past -two and four strokes. Got back into riding about two years ago after an almost 20 years away from the sport. Bought a 94 Suzuki 250 RMX about 3 years ago - it's been a super bike. This spring I picked up a 99 KTM 300 EXC and kept the RMX for my son who is still in college. The EXC is incredible. Lots more usable power from top to bottom and about 10 to 12 pounds lighter. I don't push the speed envelope much - but the EXC will smoke my son's WR400F, but still is mellow to ride unless I want to push things.

I'm playing with the jetting to get it running a little smoother in the 1/8th to 3/8ths throttle range, 'cuz that's where I ride it most of the time. Get in touch with James Dean and buy his jetting spreadsheet if you really want to get it dialed in for your personal riding preferences. I go down to a 13 tooth countershaft in the woods and run a 14 for the other places. I usually short shift it so that the front end doesn't go skyward unexpectedly. I love the bike and would buy another in a heartbeat. At your weight, I think you would like the 300 better than the 250. You can't go wrong with a KTM. Have fun!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
two more cents ....
I never found a bike that "almost" fit my riding style like Pentons and KTMs.
I would not have even bought a new bike if I could easily find parts for my other two.

I am pondering adding 2 teeth to the back, maybe I will take muleskinner's suggestion and drop 1 in the front. It would be easier.
Maybe I am too easy, but I havn't got enough hours on the bike to complain yet about the finer points of tuning or suspension setup. The new bikes are nothing like my old ones!

Does James have jetting sheets for the 400 MXC, and if so how do I contact him?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Thanks ! :) :)

Top Bottom