RM_Dude

Jul 16, 2001
30 y/o vet class rider. Current bike is 01 YZ250F and figure the extra punch of a 250 2-stroke might be a good thing since all I race is age classes. I tend to tire quickly and may be using up lots of energy keeping the 250F singing .... lots of clutch and shifting but I just don't know. A 250 2-stroke is about the same weight as what I have now but with more juice, so is it going to be more or less tiring to ride than a 250F ??

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Except for a two-stroke 500, a two-stroke 250 is probably the most tiring motocross bike you could ride. It may weigh the same as the 250F, but the greater horsepower combined with the more abrupt power delivery makes it a more physically demanding ride. Since you ride the Vet class on a 250F, I'm guessing that you are getting tired of being pulled into the first turn by a hoard of 450s. If you got on a two-stroke 250, then you might have to work on your conditioning a little, but your results should improve tremendously. Your starts will be better, and you will have passing power in areas where the 250F is getting roosted by 450s.

RM_Dude

Jul 16, 2001
The bike I had in mind is a 2003-2005 Yamaha YZ250 (same engine those years). I keep hearing about how smooth and tractable the power is so I thought maybe it would be easy to ride as opposed to something like a 03-04 YZF450 which some people tend to describe as hard hitting and difficult to control.
Sure would be nice to catch a test ride on some different bikes cuz I'm stuck !

sodflyer

Jun 30, 2004
Well if you were here in Colorado I would let ya take a ride on mine.... now that it's real close to being jetted correctly the power it there from the crack of my throttle and yes mine does seem like a nice linear power to it....no real "hit" but it's got some umph :) Jeff.

Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
I went from a CRF450 to a CRF250R to a YZ250...IMO, the YZ has the perfect blend of the best qualities of both. The YZ ('05, at least) feels even lighter than my 250F, but it was a lot more tiring to ride stock due to the hard hitting power, lack of engine braking, and harsher suspension. I highly recommend a flywheel weight, it makes the power much more managable. That and suspension work greatly reduced the fatigue factor, but I still having to apply the brakes a lot harder (due to higher corner entry speeds and no engine braking). Easier maintenance is a nice bonus, too!

Regardless, I have no regrets...this bike is insanely fun to ride, and I feel I'm faster on it that either of the previous two thumpers after taking the time to get used to it.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i am in the same situation with the 250f and the 250 two stroke myself. i currently ride a 2004 crf 250 and before it i had a yzf 250. i really like the 250f's but i hate the maintenance and the constant worry about engine problems and expensive repair bills. at the same time i am worried that if i switch to a 250 two stroke i am not going to be as good as i am on the four stroke because they are so easy to ride.

sodflyer

Jun 30, 2004
"i am not going to be as good as i am on the four stroke because they are so easy to ride."

I have not had a chance to hop on a modern four storke bike yet....could be addicting though :)

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i just got back from riding about an hour ago, i really had a great day on the crf. i am probably going to just keep it, i actually really dont have a choice, i cant afford to make a bike change now anyway.

KDXman_88

Jul 27, 2004
I am in the same situation, i had my mind set on a YZ250 but then i rode a 250F and it was a whole lot of fun, but I think i am going to stick with the YZ250 after reading what you guys have said. Anybody in the Stafford,CT area that has a YZ i could try out before i buy one?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom