Joemoto

Aug 30, 2001
Help please a few year ago I bought a 98 kdx200 and have had a blast riding this bike I have done all the normal mods fmf pipe,xr400 fork springs,tag handlebars,michelin tires,boyesen reeds my riding has gotten better done a few harescrambles my point is would I be better off with a 250mxer and set it up for off-road work or go with a ktm 200,250 or just keep my kdx and get the suspension revalved I even kicked around the ideal of putting the kdx motor in a kx125 I am a slow B rider at best I weight 175lbs I just dont want waste money on futher mods if I would be better off with a differant bike any thing I buy will have to a year or two old and have to keep for a few years thanks in advance for any help...

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
yeah the kdx is a good bike, I've got a 220 w/ pipe/reed/revalve mods, and its good for what it is...a trail bike...and I love that bike on the trails....and take my word for it, if you revalve the suspension you will go faster...frp did mine and its like a night and day difference...money well spent....but all that said, lets face it...the bike is a 200cc trail bike...well I also have a kx250, and it has alot more power everywhere....I really like the 250, it does requires more clutch and throttle control, as it has more explosive power which I've mellowed out w. 11oz fww....but it to has been revalved, and if you're serious about going as fast as you can...you have to revalve the suspension....trust me...factory connection did the kx, and it made a huge difference....I would say do what I've done, keep the kdx and get a mx bike which you convert to trails.....anyways, I don't think you would be wasting your money getting the kdx revalved...good luck with it....

flying W

Mar 30, 2002
The KTM would be the best bang for the buck. A MX'er will need a suspension revalve, torque pipe etc. which ain't cheap. The KTM is good to go stock. If you like the KDX motor you may want to look at the KTM 300. It has the smoothest powerband of the KTM 2-strokes.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
yea, i been looking into the ktm 300 mxc,, they say its like a 250mx'r but with bottom end power, a smooth mid hit, and will still go fast. kinda in between a sx and exc. im not sure what class that may throw you into though on race day.

Top Bottom