mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
aint had a 2t bike for approx 5 years now, but recently bought a 01 yz 250 i am going to ride at a track this weekend. I cant remember mixing quantities? I think i used to mix 125ml per 5 litres of petrol, is that correct? I have some Motul 510 2t oil there, wil it be ok to use that? Wil any 2t oil be ok to use, or should i get a castrol/silkolene etc brand...?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
brands are mostly personal choice. I run amsoil dominator because that's what's available locally. You probably want to mix 32:1 or 40:1 and then jet your bike for that ratio. Once you've chosen a ratio and jetted for it, you really shouldn't go changing to different ratio's. A 250 will do fine at 40:1, and some will say 50:1. 32:1 is ALWAYS safe though ;). I go by ounces here, so I'm not sure off hand how to swap that over to ml and litre's for you for every ratio, but 125ml to 5 litres of gas is 40:1 so that will be just fine for you I'm sure.

mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
julien_d said:
brands are mostly personal choice. I run amsoil dominator because that's what's available locally. You probably want to mix 32:1 or 40:1 and then jet your bike for that ratio. Once you've chosen a ratio and jetted for it, you really shouldn't go changing to different ratio's. A 250 will do fine at 40:1, and some will say 50:1. 32:1 is ALWAYS safe though ;). I go by ounces here, so I'm not sure off hand how to swap that over to ml and litre's for you for every ratio, but 125ml to 5 litres of gas is 40:1 so that will be just fine for you I'm sure.
thanks for the reply. What i am trying to say with the 2t oil is, wil any 2t oil be ok for the bike other than wel known brands like castrol, silkolene etc...or do some have cruciel qualities you wil need?

aweebitofjt69

Oct 18, 2009
you want to get a nice sinthetic oil. Like Amsoil Dominator or Interceptor. Full Spectro. I run Formula K2 which is an overkill because its made for high reving shifer carts but just to be on the safe side.

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
I run Amsoil Domiator in my bikes. I would hate to think that saving a few bucks on cheap oil would cause more money in repairs later. Probably best to stick with something meant for performance 2T and not weed eater quality.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Use whatever oil you choose. I choose Amsoil.

mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
ok, so would my local car spares shop/car factors (halfords) OWN brand 2t synthetic oil be fine? Just curious as to what makes castrol, silkolene etc....so special...

aweebitofjt69

Oct 18, 2009
I dont really know but your oil is the one thing that you DONT want to cheap out on. If you do you may have more problems up ahead like top ends and bottoms. Just go with the best you can find.

mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
just found out my local Halfords sell Castrol TTS for £12, I can get it off them for £8 with my trade card :) so I wil be using that....

Top Bottom