tuckmt

Jul 12, 2001
Currently riding XR400 looking into Pumpkin.

Specifically the 300EXC (I'm~210lbs). What are major differences between '99, '00, and '01. From what I have noticed the '99 has conventional forks while the newer bikes are inverted. I am mostly interested in woods riding, hare scrambles, etc.

Any other significant changes since '99? My budget is pointing me to that year for a good used bike.

Would any particulars point me towards the 380 other than the obvious motor size? Any previous XR owners out there?

Thanks in Advance,:think

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
The last few weeks have been nothing but reading anything and everything I can about different bikes to replace my KX500. I've been wanting to get back into 4-strokes since my current bike tires me too much now. I've looked into the KLX300, but I'll have to mod it too much for my type of riding. I don't have the dough for a KTM520/400 or any of the other nice thumpers. You sure can find some great deals on 2 strokes now. I am now looking at a nice used deal on a 01 300EXC with a scotts for $4400. I've read a lot about all the great reports from others about the bike and looks like it would fit me great. As long as it does not tire me like my 500 does in the tight technical stuff. I'm also looking at a nice deal on a 01 Husky CR250 for $4300 with many costly extra new parts. Seems to me the KTM is the way to go, so I'm leaning towards the 300EXC.

JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
I am a 220lb woods rider. In 1999 I made the exact same switch that you are contemplating. I went from a '98 XR400 to a new '99 KTM 300EXC. I was kind of sceptical about going back to a 2-stroke but I have never regretted that move for even 1 second. The big surprise was that the KTM had almost as much bottom end as the thumper, which was one of the things that I was most worried about. Being 50 lbs lighter, easier to start when dropped and in the winter, electric like power delivery with no big hit and way more power on top than the XR were all double bonuses. Over the 3 years that I have owned it I like it better and better. The quality of the components is exceptional. After three years of trail riding 30 - 50 miles a week my compression is still 175-180, on the original top end. Jetting is very important on these bikes. After fooling with pilot and main jet changes, which did help I got the most dramatic improvement from going to a #7 slide. After getting a new bike every couple years I have decided to maintain this one and keep it as long as possible.

Other than the forks I don't know the specific comparisons about the '99, '00, '01 and '02. When I notice one on a ride I ask the owner to compare them if they previously owned a KTM. Nobody has mentioned any dramatic changes other than the forks, which do seem to provide a better ride.

Good luck with your decision.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
If you are riding primarily enduros and hare scrambles, I would recommend the 300. I like mine. The people I've talked to who own a 380 do complain about the bike making them tired by the end of the ride.

35off

Nov 12, 2001
I went from a DR350 to a 00 300exc. The bike is awesome. It will lug around in the woods with 4-stroke like tractability but, can bark to life and roar like a 2-stroke. The conventional forks on the 99 are know for chronic fork seal leaks but, are otherwise good forks and, I think in stock form are more plush than the inverted wp's. The inverted forks seem to provide more precise handling. I had mine revalved and spent time working on the jetting and for woods riding is perfect for me. A buddy has a 99 380 which I find is not the beast it is described to be. It will also lug around well and in the stragihts will fly. Throttle control mistakes will, however, be costly and wear you out. I metion the 380 because they seem to have lower resale and are, therefore, a good used deal. At the time I bought the 300 I really wanted a 400/520 but, people were getting 6k used. Haven't regretted my choice.

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
For the type of riding you've specified, it's hard to beat a KTM 300. I have an '01 300 MXC and I haven't regretted my choice either. The bike has been stone reliable so far and really works nice in the woods. The motor is especially impressive. It will lug down low like a four-stroke but a quick twist of the throttle or stab of the clutch lever will bring it barking to life. It is a very versatile, utility-type dirt bike. I don't think you would regret picking one up, if you do.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Most of the problems with the WP Extremes (50 mm), come from air build-up in the forks. If you bleed them after each ride, the seals last as long as any others. WER really works miracles with revalving these; they go from very good to amazing.

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
I picked up a '99 300exc earlier this year and could not be happier. I found that the only real changes have been in the suspension. The forks on the '99 have been considered better by most people than the upside down forks they currently have. The fork seal problem is cured with neoprene booties and air bleed attachments (about $35 for everything). I have a CR500 and an XR600. I haven't been on the CR500 more than once since getting the KTM (and I've been riding them since '88). The XR takes me to work but hasn't seen dirt in a while. That's how good the 300exc is. Any of the years you are looking at are good. It just depends on what you find in your price range.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Ramski, I switched from a '93KX500 to a '98 KTM380exc. Loved the 380exc so much, I've bought one every other year since then.

Love my 2002 380exc. Have my 2000 380exc for sale up here in Flag, fresh KTM top end,.... asking $3800. Write if interested.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Tuck,

There are a BUNCH of 300s for sale in Texas. Take a look at the TSCEC web site for more info:

http://www.texasoffroad.net/tscec/forsale.htm

You'll be fine with any of the years '99 to '01. Just focus on condition. The '00 and '01 forks are like 6 pounds lighter than the '99s, but the '99 has better action stock than the later bikes. You'll most likely get the USDs revalved.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
USD revalve.

Yup, we revalved all our 2000 USD's.

Really simple, just take out the first low speed compression washer (there are two identical)

Worked great for all three of us A riders, we were able to go from compression screws all the way out to 4 to 8 clicks out, with really good rock performance.

Top Bottom