300EXC, buy a holdover '00, or get the '01

Montana300

May 4, 2000
To replace my '99, I have the choice between a '00 300EXC at an asking price of $5400 or an '01 for $6200. I don't know the meanful differences between the two years, I have just heard that some of the '00 forks have a recall. Both bikes are new so it doesn't really matter to me. I haven't tried to deal on either machine, so actual purchase price is unknown at this time.

Any reason to buy one or the other?

------------------

Pumpkinhead

Mar 6, 2001
I made that same choice 2 months ago. 2000 300 MXC or 2001 300 EXC. The prices the dealer gave me were the exact same as you are posting. He even put a headlight, tailight and brakelight switch on the MXC at no added cost.

I am very happy with the 2000 and don't feel the wider ratio tranny or the clear gas tank were worth the extra 800 bucks. :)

------------------
(formerly XR44ME) Rick

AMA Member
NETRA Member
'00 KTM 300 MX/C

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Why do you want to get ride of the best 300 made to date? Last year when I bought my '99 used with about 15 hours on it, I went looking for the '99 instead of buying the '00. The '00 and '01 forks are not as good as the '99. I would wait and see if the '02 exc/mxc comes with the 48mm, like the KTM SX versions are.

Last edited:

KTMDan

Mar 23, 2001
Dude,

After studying the 2001 brochure at length, the only difference I have noticed is that the 2001 has about 7% more cooling in the cylinder. Other than that I believe they are the same. One other thing, I think that maybe the suspension on the 2001 is a little stiffer then the 2K models. Just guessing.

Dude, buy a 200! You will love it! Mr. Torpen rode mine last night and was really inpressed. He said it turned faster and easier than his 300. He also said the supension was way better. He really enjoyed his short little ride!

Save money and get a 200!!

Montana300

May 4, 2000
Strick, you are not the first person to tell me that the '99 was the high point in the evolution of the 300. And, I must say that my love affair with the '99 has not cooled, maybe I just need to order some bold new graphics, put the new parts on, and forego a new bike payment:D

KTMDan [locally known as the "Pup" ], I am excited to ride your 200. If I like it, there is still that one in Alberta. So what class are you going to ride in MX now?

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Montana: I don't know what accessories you have, but you can change the colors. My bike is all orange when I race (no Silver). It is all black during the 'off' season. A friend of mine ( we call Ultraman) has his 380 all silver in the 'off' season. It's just for fun.

If you are looking for performance gains, go get a Delta II, and set in on the low setting, and walla, you almost got a 4-stroke down low.

If you must buy another one, between the two I would get the '01, here's why:

Free Michelins, better bars, Ohlins rear shock, longer shift lever, 6.5 slide (makes jetting a lot easier), and appearance (I really don' tlike the '00 graphics).

Anyway, Good Luck with your decision 'DUDE' :p

Last edited:
May 8, 2000
Two new scoots in the household!! Just heard about the Canada trip tomorrow for Mama's new Blue scooter and this is the first I heard of Dan's new 200, no wonder I couldn't reach him for the border ride last weekend. Congrats on the Desert 100 sounds like the Dirtbag clan did quite well - three riders - three trophys. Hope to see all this weekend.

Tom

KTMDan

Mar 23, 2001
Hey you old dirt bag,

I was wondering when we would hear from you! I went motorcrossing last weekend in Anaconda with the Kizers. Are you going to show up and race on Sunday or just spectate?

Montana300

May 4, 2000
Strick, I saw at the Desert100 this weekend [eastern Washington], a KTM with orange rear fender and side panels, very tasty I must say. I wish now that I had waited to buy plastic! On performance, I am happy now with the Gnarly and TC2. Still more low end gain with the Delta II?

olddirtbag, yes the wife is giddy like a school girl over her new TTR. Yes we had a completely great weekend and results. I even passed a blue 4stroke on the pavement with my desert gearing, very gratifying!

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I have every accessory known to mankind on my 300. I have the Gnarly and tcII. The Delta II is the best money I have spent on the 300, since the steering damper. You can adjust the Delta II for low mid or high range influence. In a word, AWESOME!

Montana300

May 4, 2000
I agree on the damper, worth its weight in gold. I found one side effect of damper this weekend though at high speed desert type race. At mid throttle in 4th I clipped something with the rear tire while changing lines and got thrown up onto the bars, I think even both of my hands came unglued. So there I am riding the front wheel and the bike doesn't turn and crash for what seemed like 5 seconds, I even had time to think to myself, "wow I didn't see that rock, and now this is going to hurt when I finally hit the ground!" Just got some cuts on my arm and was able to continue.

ktmwes

Sep 23, 2000
00 or 01 300

If you can go the 01, I would, I had a 00 and my 01 is a much better bike. The main difference between the two is the cylinder is different (250 porting) this one is closer to a 250 in response and the fork and shock valving is way................better and the rear brake is less sensitive, smaller dia caliper piston.

Just another 0.02

mikecol

Sep 30, 2000
My parts manuals show 2001 300EXC updates as:

Engine: Ignition and Clutch Covers, Cylinder and Head, Powervalve Control Cover L and R, Powervalve Control Flap, 6.5 Slide, Shift Lever.

Chassis: Fork Legs, Handlebar Clamp, Speed. Cable Clamp, Fork Protectors, Handbrake Cyl., Handbrake Lever, Chainguard Retaining Plate, Footbrake Cyl., Rear Shock, Fuel Tank, Seat, Spoiler L and R, Decals, Front Axle and Nut, Disk Bolts, Rear Brake Caliiper, Rear Brake Caliper Bleeder Screw, HeadLight/ Support and Bulb Holder.

Last edited:

Montana300

May 4, 2000
Thanks for the facts guys. From what I have read here the '01 is the way to go. And I guess as a side effect of the popular RFS models, there are plenty of 300s to go around, i.e. better prices.

Top Bottom