OTHG MIKE

Oct 26, 2004
Anybody running 50:1 in their KDX? I just got mine and there are several mixing ratios in the golden spectro bottle. I know the bike calls for 32:1 but that seems awful rich. The bike still has the mix from the dealer and I want to drain it and start fresh. It really smokes with what ever mix they put in it.
Mike

kdxiowa

Aug 2, 2004
I am running 40:1 Mobil 1 MX2 in mine. Runs great, took the top end apart today for regular maintainence and everything looked pretty good. The KIPS valve components where a bit dirty but I don't think anything will help that.

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
Mike,

Do a search and you'll find varying opinions on this - but most people run 40:1 (and would consider 50:1 not a good idea).

Stock bikes are jetted too rich from the factory. See Canadian Daves JustKDX site (peruse the second post in this forum) and get some good starting points for correct jetting. You don't fix the "smoking" issue with fuel ratios. Decide on your ratio, then jet accordingly.

You'll be glad you did!

Jeff

(Edit - I guess I could add "might" to the above comment about 50:1 ;) )

Last edited:

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
anywhere between 40/1 50/1 with good gas and synthetic oil is where I run my bike fleet. (01 gasgas EC 300,03 KX 125,97 RT 180, 98 RT 100) I adjust within that range with the conditions that we ride and the stress the we will be putting on the engines. In my mind 32/1 is only good if you make sparkplugs or muffler packing for a living!! The new generation of oils are SO much better than they were even 10 yr's ago. If you want to help make your engine last spend most of your efforts in keeping your air filter clean and in good shape!

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
My motor has been in 3 different frames and is now 15 years old. I have always used golden spectro at 60:1. In the last 5 years I have switched to 50:1 Wal Mart Super-Tech. I do put a new plug in every year to play it safe.

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
UH-OOH,Here we go again.Search the threads and you will see a lot of opinions!Some of the discussions get downright heated.I've been running Golden Spectro in my KDX for 3 years.I dump 12ozs. w/ 4 1/2 gals. of fuel. Comes out to 45.866666666 to 1.Never had a problem. I'd swear by it.I'm sure 50:1 would be fine. Dave

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
It depends on the premix you are using. I always use Amsoil Series 2000 in my 2 strokes and it is designed to run at 50:1. Never any wear or carbon on the motor either.

Keep in mind that you will have to do some rejetting. Going from 32:1 to 50:1 will richen things up, so you will need to lean out the carb.

OTHG MIKE

Oct 26, 2004
I guess I better read up on jetting a little now. I did do a search on the premix and there was a little fighting and name calling going on....lol... I just wanted to know if you guys were running 50:1. I see a lot of you guys are and I think I will try it too, after all thats that Golden Spectro recommends and they would sell more oil at 32:1 so it must be OK.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
GS has a tendency to gum up power valves. It was formulated before the era of PV's - we used to run it in the '70's in air cooled yammies and kaws. 40:1 is recommended to keep the bottom end lubed, I wouldn't go with less oil than that. JMHO.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
I run 40:1 with mobile1 mx2t and never have any problems on all my bikes. When you run 32:1 it does not richen your jetting it actually leans out the carb because there is more oil passing through the jets.

Top Bottom