john3_16

May 17, 2004
Since the 500cc 2 stroke may no longer be available I'm thinking seriously of getting one...But I have a few questions...

For those of you that have 125's 250's and 500's...How does the reliability compare to the smaller bikes..I've only raced 125's and 250's so I've got zero experience with the 500cc class bikes...

Any common issues with the KX 500 ? CR500 ?

Which do you guys recommend CR500 /KX500 ? Powerband comparisons ?

MX , plain old trial riding, or sand dunes ? Your experience ?

Thanks

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I grew up riding a CR125 in the woods. Quit riding when I got out of high school. Couple of years ago [at] age 40 got a KX500. Wouldn't want another bike.

It is a bit heavy for fast, tight woods riding. But I'm not that fast. I'd like to gear it down a bit because a lot of my riding is with my 7 yr old son. Point it at any hill, crack the throttle and UP you go.

The KX is supposed to be a little better for trail riding because it has the KIPS exhaust valve system. That makes for better low end power.

Riding the bike is a lot of fun. It has sooooo much low end grunt that you rarely need to get far up in the revs. As a result, top ends last a long, long time.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
gwcrim said:
The KX is supposed to be a little better for trail riding because it has the KIPS exhaust valve system. That makes for better low end power.

Doesn't the big CR use a power valve as well? I could swear that the cylinder looks a lot like the '01 and earlier CR250s, including the power valve bulges and such. Anyone?

BigSwole

Jun 8, 2004
dont know alot about the KX500.The CR500 is very quick and has a ton of bottom end.I'm still learning on this bike.ones thing is for sure.you can get from point A to point B in a hurry.everything you will hear about these machines hold true.one nice thing about the power of these bikes is you can make a mole hill or a small rock into a nice jump.they take something very small and turn it into something big.most 500 owners know what im talking about.take it easy and have fun man.it's just a bike,be more man then the bike LOL.

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
Having all three (125,250, and 500) I'd have to say that the 500 is the most reliable. It is also the most comfortable, easiest to ride, fastest bike on the planet and just about everything else you can imagine. The diffrence, in my oppinion, with the Cr5 and the Kx5 is that the KX seems to have a bit more pull up top as the CR tops way too fast and has no power up top, where the KX is just pulling away. I'm assuming due to powervalves.

The problem I've and everybody else with a tuned KX is the jetting. It is almost impossible to Jet a KX500. When I first purchased the KX I sent it directly to Eric Gorr for some work, which worked out beautifully, and race tech fixed up the forks and suspension and I can say it is the best bike overall I've ever ridden and is my #1 pick when I hit the trails. :yeehaw:

Top Bottom