Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
O.K. So are they going to be 520's or 540's? In 2003?
I have money down on a 2003, 540, I hope. Some people I talk to say for sure they will be 540's and others say 520's.Does anybody have the scoop?

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I was told it is going to be a 520 last weekend in Las Vegas (SX) by a dealer from Oregon (outside Eugene). He said he knew Adam (but not Eve).

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
I have heard that the SX's will be 450's and 540's. The EXC's and MXC's will be 400's and 520's.

riverside

Aug 17, 2001
If that is true I am not liking the current trend of KTM. I have bought 5 of their bikes and currently own a '00 380exc and an '02 520exc. The reason I am buying them is because of they come already set up for off road and they have currrent technology. Last year KTM decided to update the suspension on all bikes but if I remember correctly- I may be wrong on the forks- they put larger forks as well as high and low speed adjustment front and back on the SX only. Now rumors say they are going to upgrade the displacement on the SX's also. I am sure it will come along in another year or two for the off road guys but I won't be happy about it. I am not an "A" rider and may not necessarly need the extra horspower and adjustability but I want it! I hope this isn't a view of the future where KTM is going to treat their off road guys like the Japanese manufacturers do. If I am going to have to buy an SX and change everything on it for off road in order to have a bike that is current technology I will definetly consider another brand.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Riverside, you and I are in the same boat rider wise. I think by the time I hang up riding, I still won't be an A rider. I still desire state of the art. KTM is moving the displacement to 450 on all 400's. 520 remains the same. I have NO idea what they are doing with the suspension. I bought an '02 SX for one reason primarliy - the updated suspension! I hope KTM brings that to the other models this year. I will be riding a 450 in the future, I just don't know if it will be an '03 or an Eric Gorr kit on my current bike??

My info. comes from dealer's, so until August after the Dealer's meeting, I really don't think anyone but KTM knows for certain.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
River - I think having a 400 keeps them eligible for a FIM enduro class or something. As for the current trend. I think KTM does a far better job than any othe MFG in the world as far as outfitting each individual bike with the best equipment for its designed purpose. KTM's bikes are highly specialized.

On the other side KTM is spending alot of time and money on their MX program. And in a way they need to seperate those bikes from their Off Road bikes. Because of function and marketing.

KTM is changing. Soon they will have an 80. A "real" street bike. And I would even be willing to bet a 4-wheeler. :think:

Only time will tell......

Bonehead - I was in your shoes this time last year. Had a deposit on an 02 450/520 sx with a 6 speed. Realized that was not gonna happen and ended up wiht the Berg....... Nothing like waiting for the new bike.... And the Rumors man they just killed me.... ;)

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
400,450,520,540,570. I don't want any of them, I want that two cylinder 900! Yeah!

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
Well, if it is only going to be a 520 for the EXC I will still buy one. I just want a new bike and what the hell can you say bad about a 520, they are only 510cc anyway.

And for you mxbundy Don’t you know why guys drive Corvettes!

Top Bottom