XRBOB

Sep 13, 2004
Please help, I've just bought an xr500r and I'm having a hard time kicking it into life.I've changed the plug and the air filter.
There is a spark and gas is flowing.
It starts ok (usually) when it's cold but it's a pig when it's hot.
Although last week when I was riding and couldn't get it started somebody said "let me try for you" and it started first time, so I'm guessing it's just me.
I've ridden street bike bikes for 18 years (so I know bikes) but this is my first attempt at dirt bikes and the manly art of kick starting a bike.......... Any help or advice would be appreciated

Bob

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If your valves are set to tight (don't have enough clearance), it will cause trouble hot starting.

As far as technique, use the kicker to slowly bring the piston to the top of the compression stroke. You will feel it get harder and harder to move. Just after TDC, the piston will get easier to move with the kicker. Stop slowly moving the kicker just as the piston passes TDC. Now raise the kicker to the top and kick as hard as you can. By getting the piston just past the compression stroke before you kick for real, the piston has a chance to build up more speed before the next compression stroke. Also, some bikes are very picky about throttle position - most don't want any throttle unless they are flooded. If flooded, kick with it all the way open until it starts (don't open and close it).

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
XRBOB said:
the knack is ???????

Bob.

If it seems like the bike is flooded, do as dirt bike Dave suggested and kick it with the throttle wide open. Pull the compression release and hold the throttle wide open and kick it through about 8 to 10 times. Then release the throttle and try to start it. Bring it up on compression and then pull the compression release so the piston goes a little past compression and then give it a good healthy kick. Give it either no throttle or only about an 1/8 to a 1/4 throttle.

On those early XR's there is a pick-up coil in the right side case next to the crankshaft. Over time these coils get hot and the insulation cracks. If you loose spark when the bike is hot, that coil would be the first thing to check.

Just my $ .02

XRBOB

Sep 13, 2004
Thanks , Ive got the knack !!!!!. It starts on the first or fifth kick every time. I thought there was something wrong with me !
Thanks for your help , Bob

Top Bottom