mx314

Aug 27, 2005
i need help with my next bike...im 15 right now 5'4" and 120 lbs....i just got off of a ttr that i got used to in a day and i rode a 85 but its really too short for me i think. so then i thought a 85 expert would be good but then i learned you cant ride the expert in the 85 class...so as you can see i need alot of help i would get a 250f but i just cant afford one now b/c im getting a truck soon and if i washed out in a turn idk if i could get it back up....or should i jus race supermini on ktm105??help please!!!

Last edited:

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
A supermini is what you want. 85 experets/100/105 are all supermini's, pick your favorate flavor. They are all basically the same as regular 85's but with 2" larger wheels and often longer swingarms and stiffer suspension. The KX also has a larger cylinder bore but not a lot more power than the 85. The KTM105 is definatly the top performing supermini, but also more expensive and of questionable reliability. The KX and RM's are the easiest to use and the CR has a serious hit. They are all great bikes and will fit you perfectly. You could also fit on a 125cc 2-stroke. It would be a little big, but not unmanageably and much cheeper than a 250F, especially used. At your weight you'll still easily be able to start ahead of a modded 250F with a heavier guy on it:)

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Don't worry too much, they are all great bikes and almost certainly much more capable than you (and very certainly more capable than me). Based on your size you should be looking at the super mini sized bikes (19"/16" wheels). That narrows it down the the CR85 Expert, the RM85 (whatever they call the big wheel model), the KX100 and the KTM105. The KX100 is probably the best value as they are identicle back to 01 for the most part so you can get an older one and still be on "current" technology. The performance is surprisingly good and very easy to use as well. I'm less familer with the others, but the CR85 should also be fairly inexpensive, followed by the RM85 and the KTM is a good bit more expensive but also has considerably higher grade components (suspension etc). The KX, RM and KTM have relitivly linear power outputs with their powervalve equiped motors (note by this I mean linear by small bore 2-stroke standards, they still have a very noticeable hit). The CR doesn't use a powervalve (less maintance) and has less low end power with similar mid-top making for a more pronounced hit.

For racing don't worry about which class now. There are classes for super-mini's at most all events. Its also sorta a non-isseu as when you turn 16 you will not be allowed in the 85cc class anyway (at most races) and will have to ride school boy/supermini regardles of if your on a 85 or 85expert/100/supermini/bigwheel.

good luck and have fun:)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom