motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
Could I replace the drum brake on an '85 with a disc brake of an 86'? What about the forks? I undertand they were improved in 86'.

motoxpress

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
If the fork tubes will fit in the tripple clamps, you could swap the forks and brakes, but this would require swapping the entire front end, including the hub and wheel assembly, as well as the master cylinder and hose mounts. I can't say for sure, because I don't know if the head tube and bearing race diameters are the same, but you may be able to swap the entire clamp assembly as well, making the whole job much simpler.

Do you happen to have a "donor" '86 laying aound? If not, you could probably buy a newer bike for what the parts to do this would cost. And if you have the '86, why not just concentrate on it instead of transplanting the parts to the '85?

cableman22b

Nov 11, 2001
Yes it can be done.Look on E bay for the parts,I picked up the forks,wheel,and braking system from a 1988 kdx200 for $150.00.I am using
them to up grade my 1981 IT465.:D

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
i dontk now if it helps, but the vin numbers on my bike say that its an 85...but i have afront disk. go figure......i dont know if a conversion was done or if the forks were replaced too. does anyone know how i could tell if this was done cause this has puzzled me since i bought the bike.
tim

Top Bottom