ryanoa

~SPONSOR~
Jul 2, 2002
I have a crack around one of my bolt holes on the clutch cover that is leaking fluid. Is there anything short of getting a new cover that would fix this? Can it be welded? Also, after riding with fresh tranny fluid it turns a milky white color. Is that normal? Could I be leaking coolant into the case at the pump? The coolant level doesn't drop, but it could be such a small leak that I don't notice it. Help!!!

KTMKyd

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 20, 2001
Well we got a 91 KTM that had a small hole on the Water pump cover I believe, and we asked a mechanic and he said we could use a little JB Weld on it, and then test to make sure it wouldn't leak. If the crack goes all the way to the hole for the bolt, I don't know if you would be able to do it that way. You might want to find a mechanic who doesn't get paid on commission (they're more honest :p), and ask him what he thinks.

Don't really know about your other questions...

BTW, welcome to DRN, you're gonna get hooked! :aj:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by ryanoa
I have a crack around one of my bolt holes on the clutch cover that is leaking fluid. Is there anything short of getting a new cover that would fix this?

I wonder if there is a crack or something there as well. If not, you can try a very thin rubber washer or o-ring maybe.

I can't remember if yours has a check glass or a check bolt. If it is your check bolt you can re-tap it to a larger size and it will seal better.

Can it be welded?

Depends on the extent of damage. Can you post a digital pic? If not, e-mail a digital photo to me and I'll put it on my page so you can post it.

Also, after riding with fresh tranny fluid it turns a milky white color. Is that normal? Could I be leaking coolant into the case at the pump? The coolant level doesn't drop, but it could be such a small leak that I don't notice it. Help!!!

Quite possibly but I'm not too sure. Considering the age it may need the seals replaced.

Ivan

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I'm am pretty sure that the milky white color in the oil is coolant. You have to replace the seal to fix that, not a very hard task if I remember correctly.
Jim

txvintage

Sponsoring Member
Apr 20, 2001
My neighbor went through this last year with his 86 CR125. The JB weld, applied patiently and carefully, took care of the problem.

He also had a leak into the cases that was from a leak around the cover at the impeller, JB weld took care of as well.

Boysen sells replacement covers for about $50, but the JB weld fix is worth a try before investing. Buying new gaskets gets kind of old though as you experiment unless your using Yambond or something similar.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
ryanoa,

Welcome to the site... hope you find as much useful info as I have. Now on to your problem. If I am picturing correctly what your problem is, JB weld should help. If not, as stated above, you can purchase an aftermarket one or call up some of the salvage places (look at ad's in the bike of dirt oriented cycle publications or search the web).

Now for your other question, I think the seal between the water pump and case would need to be replaced. This seems to be common on that era KX. Get a manual for you bike if you don't already own one and it should not be a difficult task. For my buddies bike, it took us about 1.5 hours and 12 pack, but we really didn't get in a big hurry. ;) That was about 7 or 8 years ago, but I don't remember any real problems with replacing the seal.

Good luck.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I did something similar to my '86 CR 125 a few years ago caution about using JB weld. Over time it will harden then eventually start to flake and crack its a cheap fix at most. I also welded the case to fix a hair line crack around a bolt hole on the side case this works best but is more time consuming. If your cases are magnesium be very careful when welding them try to keep from heating it up very much. the previous owner used jb weld on the inside of the case around the impeller to fix some pitting holes. It worked for awhile but it flake/cracked and clogged up the raditors! So it works but its not ever lasting it lasts like a year definetly keep an eye on it. Check out some online auctions and keep an eye out for cases I would of kept my 86 CR if I knew about it then.

Top Bottom