Deraj

Sep 20, 2004
I was given this bike, so I feel that I can throw some money at it without feeling to bad. I took it to the shop to have a checkup. The mechanic tells me the KIPS was not maintained and has destroyed its self the cylinder and the head. The bike is not in bad shape maybe 100$ for miscellaneous repairs. Do you think the beast is worth fixing? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
I got a 1989 enggine in a 1992 frame same as 89. I really like my bike plenty of torque and speed. the cylinder from 1989-1994 will fit. To bad you missed the cylinder on e-bay the other day it went for 68 USD with piston used.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Jeff F. probably can fix you up with used parts at a reasonable price. He is worth a call or email. I would say from afar that the bike is well worth repair if everything else seems to be good. John

Apr 28, 2001
I have an 89 KDX that is still a great reliable ride. ( I also have a 2000 -220 that is loaded with mods. The 89 has been a great bike for a buddy of mine who rides with us every Sunday in some tough rocky woods. I had Jeff Fredette rebuild the shock and forks, I have replaced suspension bearings and swingarm bearings once. The cylender is original but I replaced the piston and rings with a ProX three years ago. The bike starts faithfully on the first or second kick and has been used to teach 10 or 12 guys how to ride. If the price is right the bike is a keeper.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom