93 CR 250 new top end hard to start

94formy

Mar 13, 2006
I just put new crank bearings/ seals, new wiseco piston and rings, new spark plug in my 93 CR 250 and it is hard to start and wont idle. I had the cylinder honed by a bike shop and totaly disassembled the powervalve and cleaned it all up. Does this mean my carb is out of adjustment? What can I do to make it start easier and idle?

thanks
Josh

CRazy250

May 28, 2006
its probly hard to start because it hasnt broken in, i know my 93 was like that but after riding it for a few it got easier to start.....dont try to start it wearing converse shoes like me lol.

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
In my experience, a freshly rebuilt engine is not hard to start. The carb is the likely cause. My 93 CR fired right up immediately after a top end rebuild. If reeds, compression, spark plug, carb, choke, air filter, gas, spark plug, are all as they should be it will fire right up.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Sounds like there is an air leak somewhere in the intake tract. If it started easy before with the jetting that is in it now, something else has changed. Re-check all reed block gasket surfaces for leaks, and make sure the powervalve is working correctly. A fresh top end should make the bike start easier, not harder.

94formy

Mar 13, 2006
The power valve is working because I adjusted it after putting the top end on and then checked it once everything was together. What do I look for when inspecting reeds and the reed block?

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Make sure the reeds are not cracked or chipped, and that they lay flat against the reed block with no gaps. Make sure there are no air leaks at the gasket surfaces when re-installing the carb-reed block-cylinder connections.

Top Bottom