apb

Feb 1, 2005
Anybody have an opinion about the inverted forks on the '93 kdx200's and how they compare to the current right-side-up version? Were there any problems with them? Why were they discontinued on later kdx's?.. Thanks.

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Good question, could I also add does anyone have an opinion about inverted forks vs regular forks in general? Whats the advantages and disadvantages of each?

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
I find that inverted forks blow seals a lot more.
They are supposed to be stiffer which can be a big help, especially when doing big jumps, but a fork brace will do the same thing if you need it.

Cheers,
Andrew

80elkster

Feb 4, 2005
I have one

I have a '93' with the USD forks, I bought it used and replaced the fluid with Mobil 1 Automatic Transmission Fluid which is about equivalent to 7wt. That alone made a huge difference. From the look of the fluid that I drained out it was probably the original. At first I ran it with the stock springs and it rode great but was just a little soft for high speed riding but in the tight woods over roots 6-8 inches above the ground you didn't even feel them. Since then I bought a set of .42 Kg springs from Fredette and I think they are too stiff so I'm going to try a set of .40 Kg's. Stock springs are .30 Kg. By the way I'm a big guy 250lbs dry.
My son has an '05' and when I rode it, it was too stiff. The ride was harsh with the clickers set at 10 clicks out from the factory we softened it up by adjusting the clickers out. It also helped to set the sag at the rear.

My research has shown that Kawasaki probably went back to right side up forks due to machining and finishing (anodize) costs which are considerably higher.
There is one advantage with having the USD forks, they don't hang down as low so when your in a rut or between roots they are less likely to get hung up and keep you from getting your handlebars jerked out of your hands.
Less unsprung weight too.

The newer forks have a lot more opportunity for dampening improvents though since they are cartrige type. Depends on your riding style and your wallet

I'm very happy with mine and I know with a little more fine tuning I'll have them tweeked just right!!

Hope this helps! :nod:

Last edited:

apb

Feb 1, 2005
elkster, thanks for the info -- there's a bike i'm considering that has those forks, so i was just wondering if they're a headache to maintain or anything. sounds like they're working fine for you.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I had a '94 with the USD forks and they were one of the main reasons I got rid of it (for a newer KDX). I am sure it was my fault that I could not get them "right" because I never did get the front end to stop hunting. I love the higher ground clearance they had over the current forks. Another thing I did not like was trying to keep the lower fork legs protected in rough country. I wore out and broke some guards, but I guess they worked because I never did significently damage the fork legs. The USD forks are more rigid because of the bigger diameters in the tripple clamps and that has handling plusses. Remember the USD forks were '93 & 94 and were on the old style engine rather than the new one that came out in '95. If you go for the old style, be sure and make yourself a good deal. Cheers John

apb

Feb 1, 2005
yeah, I'm leaning towards spending a little more to get a 95 or up machine too. unless I find an older one thats exceptionally clean and a good price.. the perimeter frame would be really nice to have though. I kindof like those 2stroke yamaha wr250's also, but I think it'd be kindof a handful on tighter sections, so I'll probably go with a kdx.

trailrider190

Jul 14, 2005
a 95 or up kdx is the way to go, and if you are power hungry go for a kdx220 like me, im actually looking at a 2001 kdx220 tommorow for $2000 but the guy said he would sell it for $1600 :) maybe i can get it for $1500 :laugh:

apb

Feb 1, 2005
you must be back east to be finding late model bikes at prices like that. here in CA, its pretty tough to find a deal anything like that for a 2001 model..

Top Bottom