1993 KDX INVERTED FORKS REBUILD HOW TO ????sss

jayfrank5074

Sep 25, 2005
does anybody have any links on how-to's for inverted forks?

i have to put seals in my friends 93 kdx with inverted forks. i have searched and searched the web and cant find a break-down with pics. or a how too. please help guys.

and he doesnt have a service manual for the 93, i have one for my 95, but it doesnt have the usd forks.

jayfrank5074

Sep 25, 2005
thanks for the link. im going to print it and see if we can maybe wing it. im supposed to do it tonight, but if you can give me some copies of the service manual, i could maybe hold off till saturday.

well i was gonna pm you, but i cant figure out how. im at work and have "limited time" to figure the forum out. umm i guess pm me if you dont mind.

jayfrank5074

Sep 25, 2005
thanks to 80elkster for the link and the offer to help.

i printed out the link, and an illustrated parts list and managed from there.

wasnt too bad. anyway got them done.

thanks again elkster

captbly99

May 30, 2005
jayfrank5074 said:
does anybody have any links on how-to's for inverted forks?

i have to put seals in my friends 93 kdx with inverted forks. i have searched and searched the web and cant find a break-down with pics. or a how too. please help guys.

and he doesnt have a service manual for the 93, i have one for my 95, but it doesnt have the usd forks.

Are you located in GA by any chance?

jayfrank5074

Sep 25, 2005
captbly99 said:
Are you located in GA by any chance?

na, im in MS.

hey elkster, can you tell me how much oil they are supposed to have in them. i put about 14 oz in them. i dunno if its right. at least they dont leak now.

80elkster

Feb 4, 2005
The fork oil level (I use Mobile 1 synthetic ATF which is 7.5wt) is set with the fork fully compressed and the spring removed. The level is set by measuring down from the top of the fork with the cap removed to the oil or fluid. In the case of the 93 and 94 KDXs with the USD fork the measurement is 80 +/- 2 millimeters from the top.
I built a simple tool to set my fluid level rather than purchasing one. I took a piece of copper tubing and measured 80 mm up from the end and scribed a line. I then slipped a piece of clear vinyl tubing over the copper tubing and secured it with a small zip tie. Then I attached the vinyl tube to my MightyVac brake bleeder, stuck the copper tube down in the fork, aligned the scribed mark up with the top of the fork and sucked out the excess fluid. If the fluid level is lower than the end of the tube pour in some more then suck out the excess. If you don't have a vacuum pump you can use a syringe or worst case your mouth. :ohmy:
Hope that helps :cool:

jayfrank5074

Sep 25, 2005
yes, it helps, but the guy i fixed it for sold it today. 3 days after i put the seals in for him. oh well.

very clever idea with the tubing, hadnt thought of that. ill know when i have to do mine.

80elkster

Feb 4, 2005
KDX250 Fork Fluid

This is an assumtion but worth a try.
If the forks are blue in color, 43 mm, KYB (kayaba) and USD, I would say they are the same forks and would try setting the fluid level to 80 mm from the top, compressed with the spring out.
Try a search for 250 USD forks or better yet start a new thread, somebody surely has a manual and can dig up the information for you.
Good Luck :nod:

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
the answer to all of those questions is a YES.

so you saying to use ATF insted of regular fork oil? this wont damage the seals or anything?

80elkster

Feb 4, 2005
Mobile 1

You can use what ever you like. Mobile 1 ATF will not hurt your seals if anything it will help them. There are many seals in an automatic transmission and the fluid contains a softening agent that will keep them working correctly. If your seals are the originals ATF can help them last longer. If your seals allready leak it's not going to help.
I have Mobile 1 ATF in both my forks and my shock. My son has it in his 05. Try a search on Mobile 1 ATF and read on this site is where I found out how good it works. I use it in my Toyota Tundra and have over 100K on it. Runs and shifts like new.
Believe me you won't be disapointed.

Top Bottom