93 RM 250 pushing antifreeze out the overflow tube??

94formy

Mar 13, 2006
I have a 93 RM 250 that pushes antifreeze out the overflow tube upon start up. I just got the bike from my brother a week ago and noticed the antifreeze was low so I topped off the radiator, no leaks or anything. When I started up the bike I noticed that some antifreeze was getting pushed out the overflow hose. It stopped and the bike did not heat up. I estimate it's pushing out about half a radiator full. What could cause this? I wonder if it could just be caused by a bad radiator cap? How would I test this? What other theorys do you guys have?

thanks
Josh

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
When the bike warms, the coolant expands and has to go somewhere. If you keep topping the radiators off, it will keep pushing it out the overflow.

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
still.. it shouldn't push that much out. check your radiator cap and see if that's bad.. it should stop most from getting pushed out.. also did you bleed the coolant system? so there was no air inside of the radiators?

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
Pressure test the cooling system. If you do not have the tester, go to your local dealer, it will only take like 5 mins to see if the system can hold pressure, and they can also test the cap in like one minute.

94formy

Mar 13, 2006
MX86 said:
still.. it shouldn't push that much out. check your radiator cap and see if that's bad.. it should stop most from getting pushed out.. also did you bleed the coolant system? so there was no air inside of the radiators?

how do I go about bleeding the cooling system? it doesn't puff any white smoke and it only does it right at start up and only if i fill the radiators up.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You're fine, that's expansion. If you pull the cap while the radiator is hot (not recommended), you will see that it is full to the top.

94formy

Mar 13, 2006
then it's not expansion because the bike doesn't run long enough to even start to warm up. I'll check the radiators when its warmed up but i don't see that being it, thanks for helping though, I can use all the opinions i can get.

Top Bottom