loosing antifreeze without leeking crf 450

cr lover

Aug 6, 2001
i was riding my bike, 2004 crf 450 and stopped my bike and could hear bubbling noises coming from my radiator. opened up my radiator cap to find no site of antifreeze.then when i took my bike home i then also noticed my case breather tube was full of oil. i had just checked it before my ride for the day. i drained my case tube. then added antifreeze and went for another ride the next day.after about an hour stopped my bike and again my antifreeze was gone.
i checked the motor oil and found no antifreeze in there.this time my case breather had the normal amount of oil in it, not full like last time. what do i do now.is my water pump seal bad? which i no are common problems for crfs.what steps do i take now. please help.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
If the water is not leaking out, and it's not in the tranny or engine oil, then it's going out the exhaust. I would start and let it idle on concrete. It should quickly heat up and let you find any external leaks ( thumpers will overheat without air passing over radiator. If it's not boiling out ( like out the overflow because of week cap ) or somewhere else, the next logical place is in the engine or tranny oil. If that looks good, it's probably the head. The blow by on the breather would lead me to suspect cylinder pressure is leaking into the case.

cr lover

Aug 6, 2001
i have not checked the tranny oil. if the seal is bad would it go into the motor oil or the tranny oil. my guess would be tranny oil.

cr lover

Aug 6, 2001
the tranny oil and motor oil is ok. now what.do i have to replace my head?could it be a bad gasket.please help.i have a race on friday.

cr lover

Aug 6, 2001
hey just pulled off my header pipe and found out that the inside of my pipe is all white.looks like its time to tear it down,or is that normal

Top Bottom