Oct 8, 2010
i was browsing craigslist and i found a 1995 YZ 250 for 300$ it needs a top end job and the pic that was sent to me the piston was pitted meaning the head is probally destroyed, u guys think it would be worth the 300$ to buy and the Money to fix it?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Depends on what all it actually needs, I'm talking everything, engine work, worn out linkage bearings, tires, sprockets, etc.

Not too long ago I went and looked at a mid 90's YZ250 for a friend. Price was right, pics were small and out of focus, owner said "new top end, bike is in excellant shape".

Tires were shot
Wheel bearings, linkage bearings, steering bearings, all were very loose, or horrifically notchy
Pipe was very smashed
Chain and sprockets shot
Bars bent, one lever held together with a hose clamp
Plastics in horrible condition
Silencer mounting tabs broken
Owner could not get the bike started

And I'm sure there was much more that I just can't remember, or am blocking out. The bike could have been free and it almost wouldn't be worth fixing up.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Buy a bike that runs..that way you at least have an idea of what you are getting into. Instead of buying a fixer bike that has a (best case scenario) blown top end, I would spend a little more money and buy early 2000s (2000-2003) bike with low hours or proof of rebuild. I have bought two very clean 2001s and a 2002 model in the last 1-2 yrs and that has worked out well so far. It may take some time to find a clean older bike, but they are out there. If your financial situation only allows you to buy a $300 bike, I would save my money. If you buy it, plan on spending alot of money on other parts...as listed in the prior post.

Oct 8, 2010
yea i know the feeling, i looked at it and i tryed to push it over to see if the crank was seized or not and it wouldnt budge, the guy claimed it had a blown top end and it had a ring cocked in the cylinder........ i could take my finger and wiggle the piston in the bore, -_- the bike was Extremely rough and i just told the guy flat out, the top end might be blown, but the bottom end is most definatley gone aswell, i told himm id give him 50$ for it. :)

Top Bottom