96 Yz 125 in need of some change

Blake7

Dec 15, 2003
alright, i bought a really good condition 1996 yz 125. It doesnt seem to have the powerband low enough. I am really into jumping logs, hillclimbing, rock climbs, you know all that good stuff/. But the problem is in order to be in the powerband i am usually going like 10 mph in first gear, what can i do to change this. It has a 49 tooth in the back, not sure whats in the front, has to be a 13 or 14, i hope to god its not a 14, but this thing needs some serious change. Is porting a gtood idea? how much, how long?

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Double check your jetting (first re-pack your muffler) and then play with your gearing.

If you don't like that then Eric can overbore your cylinder to a 133 at least and that will give you some really good power.

Ivan

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Don't know of online hill climbing stuff, but a 125 is never going to have much low-rpm power. I would recomend gearing it down (go to a larger rear sprocket) and get good at useing the clutch. The clutch is a really usefull tool on a small bore for keeping the motor in the powerband. Don't be afraid to slip it as needed. I tend to think of the throttle as an on-off switch and the gear box and clutch as the means of metering the power to the rear wheel.

good luck

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
i have a question though, why would he need to repack his muffler? i haven't heard of any power gain from this, though if you dont do it your bike may run rich an screw up your jetting, but other than that am i missing something?

moore_716

Jun 1, 2005
silencer packing

Eric will probably laugh, but I believe the problem is that without good packing you get turbulence in the silencer and the gasses can't scavenge properly. On a 4-stroke this causes so much xtra heat that the can crack. Also, a cheap fix would be to mess with countershaft sprocket for your gearing. I have a shortened stock 99 yz125 silencer that I could part with, but I'm not sure it would fit.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom