98, 99, Dodge Dakota, Ford F150...

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I will be getting a pickup truck about April 2003, and my dad says he'll buy me one that's 4 or 5 years old at that point in time. So...I've been considering every pickup truck I see, and I may have limited it down.

#1. Dodge Dakota. I really like the look of the 4x4 Dodge Dakota. Does this truck have a nice sized bed? How big is the interior? Are they reliable? I've talked to people who've questioned the Dodge's reliablity.

#2. Ford F150. I don't think this is the best looking truck, but I think it has a big bed, and a fairly large cab. What do you guys think of this one? I really want a pickup that will be able to hold at least 4 people (It'll be my vehicle for college). How do these do in the reliability department?

#3. Toyota Tundra with the double cab. Very nice looking. I think it's good in the reliability department, right? Any negatives to this truck? The bed looks a little shallow.

Should I consider some other options? How would these compare price-wise? Any insights are appreciated, thanks a lot:)

GBKTM

Nov 13, 2001
OK I have a Dakota ****Cab 2000 model 2wd. It can haul four people and two bikes no problem. never had a moments trouble with it. a Club Cab Dakota will be too small for four people, but you will have more bed room.

Ford, good truck my friends and my uncle own them. backseat in the clubcab is not as tight as the Dakota but still not good for long rides, bed is bigger so, room for more stuff. the new Ford 4 door is nice! I know someone with one of those too. more room in the cab than the Dakota 4 door and 3 inches longer bed also.

Toyota, I looked very hard at these when I bought my Dakota.
Pros: excellent Toyota reliability, V8
Cons: smaller than the other full size trucks but cost more. dealers were not willing to deal much, it was brand new at the time, small back seat, I was not all that wild about the looks of it.

Reasons I bought the Dakota, looks, V8 power, (tows my 6x10 enclosed trailer when I want), more backseat room than the club cab trucks, price was cheaper also.

All are good trucks I wouldn't have a problem owning any of them really, just depends on budget and availability on the used market.

just my .02 cents worth. :)

nkd

Mar 3, 2000
F150

Hi,

I had a 97 F150 4x4 3-door 8foot bed, what a great truck,
I bought it with 57K miles for $12,800 and I just sold it for
$11,500, it was great for hauling my bike. Plus Ford F150 is
the best for the bucks. That's my 2 cents

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
I've hauled bikes in both the F150 and the Dakota. Though I like the ride look and feel of the Dakota I thought that the bed was to small for hauling 2 bikes. I'm not a Ford fan but givin these choices I'd buy the F150.

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
I have a 99 dodge dakota extended cab, I really like it, with a bed extender (got the dealership to throw it in for free), it can easily fit 2 bikes (added some tie down anchors) and bike stands, chairs, gas cans, boots, icechest, bmx bike, ramp, and still have room to spare. The cab space is ample, if it's used for holding gear for two people. If 2 people are riding back there with no gear or anything, it is a little cramped, but bearable for short trips. Overall it is a great truck and so far has been very realiable for me.

Top Bottom