yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Hauling with Small Trucks

Hey Spodes.
I'll be getting a truck sometime in the near;) (a year, give or take) future, and I'm looking at pickups. I don't want a full size, because they would be a little harder for a new driver to get used to. I'm looking at the Toyota Tacoma 4X4 (extended cab), the Chevy S-10 4X4 (extended cab), and the Dodge Dakota 4X4 (extended cab). My real question is: which of these trucks can hold a full size bike with the gate closed? Any opinions on these are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
All of them should hold it as long as you place it crosswise. My big XR came home in the back of a toyota minitruck with the tailgate up. I would go for the tacoma. Now if you want to transport more than one full size bike then you will need to measure the beds.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Are you looking at new trucks? All those that you listed, escept the Dodge, have 6 ft beds. The Dodge has almost 6 1/2 ft.

I agree w/Highbeam. Go for the Toyota. The Nissans are nice, too (and you can get them with that killer Rockford Fosgate stereo system for only an additional $500!!!). If you've got the cash, go for the Nissan Crew Cab SuperCharged Longbed 4x4. Now those are sweet trucks! http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/details/nissantruck02frontier4x2/kci4standardmodel/photo.html

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Let me clarify my wants. I would like to be able to hold one or two bikes facing straight back. Do you guys know the price on these trucks?

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Check www.carsdirect.com for MSRP, as well as their price. It's a good bargaining tool for when you're actually face-to-face with the salesmen.

You can also get quotes online (I think from autobytel), for the vehicle you're looking for at a dealership near you. The one time I bought a new car, I did this. They'll find a dealership in your area (or try to) that'll give you a fair price for the car you want ($1000 above dealer cost, not MSRP is what I was quoted for our Acura). I then took that to my local dealer & without hesitation he agreed to sell me the same car for a few bucks less than the price I had been quoted. It's a great way to avoid all the sleazy junk salesmen are known for.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
oh, and two bikes will fit, but you may have to leave the gate down. Never was a problem for me. Just use extra tie-downs or bungie cords to secure things like stands/jugs/ramp & keep your gear in the cab.:)

Top Bottom