kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
I found a 98' cr 250 in the trader for 2500. was that year any good? I heard the fork was way harsh. any comments?

homey

Aug 7, 2001
I have a '97, I like it, most magazines hate it. It depends on your style of riding and your preferences. I race mountain bikes and BMX, so I like a "stiff" bike. You feel the bike a lot better but it is not too forgiving compared to steel and the newer generation of aluminum frames (so I've read). You should test ride the bike and see for yourself. IMO there are easy ways to fix the suspension (pro-circuit, pro-action, etc...) so I don't think you should worry too much about the "harsh" forks.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I have had a '98 since new. The bike is awesome.
I have had the front forks valved, but other than that its stock.
All that talk about stiff frames etc. is girlie talk.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Peer Lovell
All that talk about stiff frames etc. is girlie talk.

yep, i had a 98 too. i loved it. suspension is good enough. the motor is a rocketship. all i did to mine was put in stiffer springs both ends (i'm heavy). i left everything else stock, including the motor. i never had a bit of trouble with it. i won alot of races on that bike. i bet i holeshot 80% of the motos i raced on it, maybe more. $2500 may be a bit high though.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
My '99 has the same frame and I love it for trail riding. My bike has Factory Connection suspension, including Paioli forks and it is as plush and sweet handling as any bike I've ever ridden (including Gas Gas, KTM, TM, etc). Suspension set up is everything.

In northern Cal, the '97 -'99 CR's won several overall A, Senior (40+) and Super Senior (50+) enduro and/or Cross Country championships. Yet everytime the 1st geneartion aluminum CR frame is discussed, someone will say the frame is too harsh for moto. I guess some people know how to set up a bike, and some people know how to regurgitate magazine BS.

I agree that $2,500 sounds high for a '98. Unless it's super clean and has lots of extras, you should be able to get if for less.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom