TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
I have a '99 KX250 and have two problems with the Pro Circuit Platinum pipe.

1) The upper mounting bracket has cracked. I figure I can wire brush off the "Platinum" coating and use my wire feed welder to put things right. Anything I need to be particularly careful about?

2) I have some spooge coming from where the pipe joins the pipe flange. The broken upper bracket has probably contributed somewhat to this by allowing the pipe to move around a bit. I will replace the pipe springs, and was wondering if this pipe has an o-ring also? Shoule I use OEM springs or something different?

Thanks!

Scott

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
As long as you remove the 'platinum' finish, you shouldn't have any problem running a small bead along the crack. Maybe you could paint that area with clear with some spraypaint so it won't rust?

As far as leaking from the cylinder, put some hight-temp silicone around the joint and you should be good to go. You don't need new pipe springs unless they're broken, they don't tend to lose there tension. If you do get new springs, OEM tend to be better. In fact, you might try OEM KTM springs, as they have a swivel hook at each end, and don't cause the spring to twist(prematurely breaking it). Good luck!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
TaxPhd said:
Shoule I use OEM springs or something different?

Thanks!

Scott

I'd stick w/the OEM springs, i tried a new set of fmf springs and lost them both w/in 15 minutes of riding.. Luckily i still had my OEM's
RIck

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
There is a brass gasket (p/n# 11060-1689) that goes in between the head and the pipe that you should replace. Check the pipe o-rings for nicks, or to see if the roundness has worn down. The best bet is to replace the o-rings; I would think that OEM o-rings (p/n# 671E2550) would work.

You should also loosen all of the pipe and muffler mounts and wiggle around the pipe and muffler with header springs attached and o-rings greased to make sure the header is seated flush, as some times a torsion is caused by the muffler stinger junction. The rubber boot where the pipe and the muffler meet might be glued or pipe clamped, not allowing this boot to rotate to relieve the torsion between the pipe and muffler. Re-tighten the front pipe mounts first, working back to the muffler. This same torsion could have caused your pipe mount to crack in the first place. Check the rubber on the pipe mounts to make sure that they have not been torn.

A KX250 should not leak, unless something is wrong.

TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
I pulled the pipe today. O-rings are very worn, and I will replace them and the brass gasket. The rubber conector between the pipe and silencer had two zip ties holding things in place. It is pretty worn, so I will replace it also. The broken bracket had some old rust/corrosion on it, and looks like it has probably been broken for some time. I must have missed it when I bought the bike. Oh well. Live and learn.

What's up with the price of o-rings? $5-7 each???? Is there a cheap Home Depot substitute?

Thanks!

Scott

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
I would guess that the OEM o-rings will be about $3.50 apiece. You can buy the FMF spring and o-ring kit for about $9.95, if you do an internet search. They are 50mm in diameter, but I don't know the width.

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
You may want to just order a top end gasket kit. It will come with the o-rings and many other gaskets that you'll eventually need. It's not much more than the o-rings themselves.

Jeremy

TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
Today I welded up the broken mount, replaced the o-rings and gasket, and reassembled. Everything went together pretty smoothly. Toughest part of the job was removing the old brass gasket. It was really in there tight, totally flattened and almost fused to the engine surface. I was finally able to work a very thin blade carefully under the edge and peel it away.

A quick trip around the neighborhood, and everything seems to working properly. No spooge out the front. Can't wait to take it out for a real ride!

Thanks for all the help!

Scott

Top Bottom