BB007

Apr 4, 2002
Guys, I have a question for you. When I'm riding hard and say I shift into 3ed gear the bike seems to bog or fall off the power band kind of easy. Is this normal for the bike to do this? The last KDX I owned was a 88 and it never did this and it seemed to have more low end grunt. I changed the main jet from a 160 to a 155 and the bike ran cleaner but had no effect on the situation I described. Also I went from a 48 pilot to a 45 and the bike seemed to loose some of its just off idle grunt so I put the 48 back in. I think I will try a 47 on the pilot next. The only mods are a drilled out air box lid. I hope to get some input and thanks.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Where is your needle clip and a/f screw. I had to run my stock needle clip in #4 to eliminate off idle bog after installing my REV pipe. Also try turning in your a/f screw a little.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
make sure the exhaust gasket for the pipe at the head is still there. If you have a leak there, the results will be a loss of low end power. Also check the KIPS valves if the bike is equipped.

BB007

Apr 4, 2002
I have my neeedle on the #2 position and the air screw is open 1 1/4 turns. I guess my problem is more of the bike falling off the power band too easy than a bog but it almost seems like the bike bogs some. Either way the bike seems to lack on the low to about mid range. Thanks for all of the input, I will check the gasket on the exhaust to see if it's still there.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Part of this may be the ratio differences between 1/2 and 2/3. 2/3 is wider.

More likely a jetting issue. I can give my bike anemia in the exact same spot (pulling 3rd) with a mis-set AS.

Is it safe to assume the 'off idle grunt' comment included the AS set to best throttle response with both pilots?

Let us know how that 47 pilot works out ;)

BB007

Apr 4, 2002
Guys, I think I solved the bog but I have to wait for some better weather to try out the bike. I did some checking and found out that I had the KIPS governor shaft claw gear indexed wrong. This caused the main valve to be half way closed at low speeds which I guess would throw things off a bit. Either way it's my own hair brained mess up but you know, live and learn. If this solves the bog I'm going to try the 45 pilot again because the 48 is too rich.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom