jesse_54

Apr 1, 2008
With winter approaching I was wondering what do you have to do to 'winterize' the bike properly? I heard to drain the tank.. but then isn't the carb still going to be full of fuel and gum up over winter? My second question is what kind of grease do you put around your oil filter? I'm not talking about actual filter oil, but the stuff on the outer edge. When I bought my bike used it had purple grease around the filters edge. Thanks in advance.

destructo

Feb 24, 2006
I would put Sta-bil in the tank and run it for a quik ride or two to circulate it through the carb, works really well when your bike has to sit unused for extended periods of time, unless you wanted to drain your tank and pull your carb off and clean and blow it out with air pressure to ensure there is no fuel left anywhere inside. I have always used a light coat of synthetic axle grease on the flush mount section of the air filter. Other than that I cant really think of anything else I would do, we don't get any snow here in NC so I usually ride all year round.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
If you plan on not riding through the winter, that would be a good time to tear the bike down and do a very thorough cleaning.

Might not be a bad time to do a new top end and whatnot.

Oh, and don't forget to lube all of the bearings. Suspension and steering.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Whenever I put my bikes away for a while I simply turn the gas off at the tank and then let the engine run to use up the gas in the carburetor. For a six month or less lay up I wouldn't worry about the gas in the tank, it will be okay. I might lose a little bit of its performance but it shouldn't hurt anything.

As for grease on the oil filter, none that I am aware of! For that matter, what kind of bike do you have that has an oil filter?

If you live in an area that gets freezing temperature then make sure that you have antifreeze in the radiator.

Rod

jesse_54

Apr 1, 2008
I'm talking about the grease you put around the air filter.. you apply it on the circumference of the air filter. Uni filters(possibly others) have a groove that you're supposed to put the grease in. I was just wondering what kind to use. Would bearing grease work also?

Bigdogdaddy69

Feb 18, 2008
if you dont plan on doing any motor work you should put a lil oil down the spark plug hole and slowly spin the motor over. just to give the cylider walls a coating.

jasonent0613

Apr 20, 2008
i had 3month old premix and my bike ran like a dog so i rode it home again drained that 1/4 of a tank out and put fresh gas in it and then it went perfect again.
i would have thaught that the premix would have lasted longer.

Top Bottom