Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
My little brother just bought himself a 2002 KX85.

It will be a few weeks until I can get a service manual for the bike so I have a few questions.

1. What are the stock jetting specs?
2. What are the stock clicker settings?
3. What kind of topend intervals are recommended on this bike?

4. Will a rear wheel/rim/hub setup off of a 2000 KX80 fit the KX85?

Thanks a lot, your replies are much appreciated. :)

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Thanks crim!

Also, I thought that I recall once seeing a website that had the Team Green service bulletins online??? I can't find that anymore!

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Studboy said:
Thanks crim!

Also, I thought that I recall once seeing a website that had the Team Green service bulletins online??? I can't find that anymore!
shoot me your email...I can provide you a pdf of the info your looking for. I cannot attach it to your profile email

Martin Cole

Oct 12, 2003
You need to keep a careful eye on the piston. I've lifted the barrel a couple of times and found a fracture working its way around the skirt. Fortunately I've always caught it in time. Make sure you inspect the bore every time you pull it down because the plating on Kawasaki barrels is pretty thin. If it looks suspect get it done (replated) pronto.
Stock pistons come with oil holes drilled in the skirt that line up with the bridge in the exhaust port. If you use an aftermarket piston make sure it also has the holes. If not, drill them yourself. It makes sure some lubrication finds its way into this vulnerable spot.
When changing the oil, put a little more in than is recommended (I think it's 650cc) - a little extra makes sure plenty gets splashed up around the power valve actuator shaft and can prevent an unwanted seizure.
Great bike - just needs plenty of TLC to keep it 100%.
MC

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Jasle,

I PM'd you my e-mail.

Thanks.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Martin, thanks for the heads up. I will be replacing the piston soon and installing an hour meter at the same time.

The jetting that I ended up with (At 4,000 ASL, 70 degrees temp, 91 pump) 40 pilot, 1.75 turns out on A/S (depending on temp), stock needle on top clip, 135 main. The main could stand to be leaned out a little bit, but it revs out clean now and I am going to be running it at the sand dunes.

Top Bottom