CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Well, I wasn't sure it would ever happen but it looks like a KDX is in my future. John got another bike (98 RM250) in showroom condition. Woohoo!!!:cool: I'm so excited about his new bike! Now he can start riding with me again. AND now I can start playing around on his KDX. He doesn't plan on selling it, so it looks like I can start with some suspension mods for me. Ok, I'm getting ahead of myself, it still needs a new top end. Any advice there? I may have to do it myself just to get it running again. I really don't mind though, I enjoy working on bikes.

A year on a KDX and then maybe a KTM........well I can dream can't I?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Cool! That's great! From all I hear, top ends are cheap and easy to do. I've never actually done one though. As far as KTMs go, you don't have to JUST dream--I never thought I could afford one. I got a screaming deal though and went for it.

Just don't get discouraged when you start riding the KDX. It's probably a little easier to get used to than my KTM but it's still a big jump from an XR. It will take a while to learn a new type of riding style. Have fun!

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
As excited as I am to start riding the KDX, I just can't afford to send the suspension off and have it professionally done right now. I'll just adjust the sag to make the bike a little lower and probably won't do much more right away. I think he had already ordered the parts to do the top end, it's just a matter of doing the work. Call it a work in progress bike! I'll let everyone know how it goes.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Congratulations Neely! The KDX is a fun bike. I think you'll like it. When I finally got on my ex's after being used to a 125, that thing was like a cadillac! I didn't want to give it back to him! :confused:
Have fun working on it. Let us know how it goes. :)

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Great news, Neely! Isn't it nice how things tend to work themselves out, sometimes?

Don't worry about the top end on the KDX, it should go smoothly. The biggest problem I had with the first top end on my KDX was all the carbon build up in the KIPS valves. It was a real bear. Had to take it in to the mechanic, and HE even had trouble with it. But, he eventually got the flapper valve out, and everything cleaned up and went back together very nicely.

Periodic maintenance of the KIPS valve is necessary. The second time we took it apart, it was much easier. Get a service manual for the bike, if you don't already have one. With that, and some help and support from my better half, doing a top end was a great learning experience.

Enjoy! You'll love the bike. It's a "four-stroke lover's two stroke". (But with easier starting and better suspension than your XR! :D )

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
It's a 1997 KDX 220. He's raced it pretty hard but it's still in decent shape. I look at it this way, no matter how many times I crash it, I can't hurt it. It's not like buying a new bike and then being afraid to put a scratch on it. It's a perfect learning bike. I've ridden it before and love it! As long as the trail isn't too tight, I do fine (well except in sand). It's just going to take more practice time.

canucklehead

Apr 13, 2000
CNM,

Congrats on the 'new' ride! I think you'll soon realize why the KDX is the only bike with it's OWN dedicated forum!:cool:

KDX's do have a reputation for being bullet-proof, so you are right- you can't hurt it! My 89 is still hanging in there, it's still on the original clutch! I'm saving up for the 2002 next year...
Have a BLAST on your green machine! You may never return to a thumper again... well, maybe when you're old...;)

Dave

Top Bottom