firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I realized a somewhat silly but very important goal yesterday evening.

I LOADED MY BIKE ALL BY MYSELF INTO MY TRUCK!!!!!!!

Steve (new beau :) ) offered to help me tune my bike and change my tires. Trouble is, he lives in Everett—about a hour north of me. I keep my bike in a storage unit near my apartments. I thought "Well, I’ll give it a try, and if I can’t get it, we’ll do it another time." I bought a folding ATV ramp—it’s wide enough to walk up next to the bike. I have a Toyota pickup; it is 4x4, but I have little teeny wimp tires on it so it’s not as tall as most 4x4 rigs. (A lift kit and larger tires, while they would look very cool, would A.) cost $$ I could spend on the bike and B.) make the bike that much harder to load.) I tried to push it up, with a decent running start, but the rungs on the ramp are too far apart and I slowed down because I didn’t want to slip and put my foot through a hole. So I backed up, fired up the bike, put it in first and slipped the clutch all the way up. Got it first try—didn’t even kill it on the ramp or anything!

WOW!! I felt SO cool after that! Independence is important to me and knowing that I don’t need someone else there to get my bike in my truck. I am such a stud. ;)

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Way to go!! Just be careful with the folding ramp and make sure the top is securely in place on the tailgate AND that the bottom won't slip due to the rotation of your tires.

Also a good idea to make sure none of the rungs near the bottom are stuck on an immoveable object like a rock.

Karl broke one fold of my ramp completely off and almost didn't get his bike into the bed of the truck when he rode his bike into the truck and the 2nd rung from the bottom was sitting on a rock. :eek:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well, the KTM is 20 pounds lighter than my XR was. It's longer though--I have to stick the front tire in the corner of the bed and the rear tire diagonally to get the tailgate closed, which is fine for short drives, but makes a wind sail for longer trips. Oh well

I have a piece of steel grating to put over the half of the ramp I walk on--and I wasn't riding it up, I was walking it up with the engine running. I pushed it in with the engine shut off once when I could back up against a little embankment. The ramp came with cables to secure it to the bumper and I may make use of them.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I like those bed extenders. I may get one one of these days. In the meantime, if I have 2 bikes or don't want mine sideways, I just put another tiedown across the back.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
re: bikes in straight

Get yourself a couple extra tiedowns, then after you get the two bikes in hook a tiedown to the outside footpeg of each bike and the latches on the tailgate. Raise the tailgate up to the tires, cinch up the tiedowns, and there you go! Keeps the gearbags and gascans in the back. The sad thing is that most little riceburners still don't have a long enough box. With the 6.5' box on my Chebby, the gate is a little more than halfway up.

Worth a shot, though, since tiedowns cost as little as $10/pair, while those AMP bed extenders are well over $100!

Ah, maybe that new man'll get you one!;)

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
Good for you, Firecracker!!

I am SO spoiled when it comes to that---I have what you would call a "factory ride"--Bob does all the loading and unloading AND maintenance.;) Believe me, I do my share in other areas--cooking, cleaning, washing gear, bringing lunch etc--the easy stuff.:cool:

Leapin Lisa

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 30, 2001
Good Job, Firecracker!

My husband also bought an ATV ramp so that I could learn to load my bike alone when he is unable to come along. What Dave did was bought aluminum angle iron and pop riveted a piece of angle iron between the existing rungs on the ramp so now we have less holes!

I tried to load the bike at first with the bike not running, and I discovered that I just don't have enough power to get it up the ramp. We have a Toyota Tundra, so it is pretty high. The second attempt was with the engine running and slipping the clutch. Works like a charm. I agree, it is a powerful feeling to be independent! :cool:

Leapin Lisa
99 KTM 200 E/XC

SL99

Jun 18, 2000
I'd have to say I'm with AnnBrooks on this subject but sometimes its not so easy! Ttrying to keep up with the male stench you men leave on all your gear after just one ride is tiresome! :D
Anyways Firecracker, your the envy of all indepent women now! Maybe you can give me a few pointers, except all that I have to ride up is a 9" ramp and up into a F250 4X4. At least its not a "Chebby"! :p

jroseberry

Sep 25, 2000
Thank you firecracker22 for writing my (new beau ) . My daughter is thirteen and when I ask Her how Her beau is she gives me the look like I am as old as a Dinosaur. Congrats on the new bike I have never owned a brand new.
Joe
KDX200
KX 80 SuperMini
CR80

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Way to go Firecracker! It sure is good to be able to do things yourself! That's why I prefer to use my trailer to transport my bike. I can unload and load by myself. I don't mind asking people for help, but it's nice to be able to handle things myself. I will probably use a truck some this year and I'm planning on getting an ATV ramp also. :)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well, I’ve managed to get it in and out several times now with only one mishap—I was loading one morning and silly me, I’m way too lazy to use those little safety cables with hooks and slipped the clutch a little too hard and CRRAASSSHHH!—Out comes the ramp from under my rear tire. But I managed to get the bike back down from the tailgate (front tire in, rear tire out, teetering on the cases) and put the silly cables on and tried again without a repeat. Can’t scratch the new bike loading . . .

Racing a hare scramble I was NOT ready for, however, is an excellent way to scratch plastic, tear seat covers, and bend subframes. More on that later.
:eek:

Top Bottom