JHNguyen89

Dec 4, 2009
Just got my first bike and now I'm looking for a way to haul it. The thing is, I'm most likely going to be riding on my own so I'm looking for an easy way to load an unload my bike. I'm also 5'6" and 127lbs so I'm not exactly a huge guy.

I've read about some nasty accidents with using a ramp to load into the bed, and also a hitch type rack. Hitch type racks seem a little more appealing to me, especially something like the Ultimate MX Hauler but they don't seem as safe.

If I go with ramps, I'll most likely pick up two. So.. I'll be spending just about the same amount of money.

If it helps at all, this is going in a newer Tacoma 2x4.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Either option is only as safe or dangerous as YOU make it. The issue with the carriers is they block your tail lights. You can make a light bar that plugs in to you trailer harness like I did but if you don't secure the bike to the carrier well it ends up on the pavement and most likely getting run over and causing an accident. Not a huge concern but I've both heard of it and seen it.

If the bike falls in the bed of the truck it's still in the truck. Sure you can bust your butt loading a bike but to be hones I have only once and it wasn't bad. I'd suggest using the bike stand to step on while the bike is on the ramp. A little more secure than trying to stabilize yourself on a parallel ramp.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FWIW, a Rubbermaid two step stool is great for loading/unloading, and can also work as a bike stand.

It's cheap and can also multi-task around the house.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Here is what I use. Love it.

0000_Fly_Racing_Aluminum_Bi-Fold_ATV_Ramp_--.jpg

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
am about 5'7" 120 pound haha, i know what you mean by not being a hudge guy(and no am not a girl or a teenage).
I have a light weight yz125 so maby that help, but i use no ramp nothing to get it in a trailer/bed, its not as bad as it looks like, just practice it with someone helping you before trying to attempt it alone(maby you will not feel well with this way, if so just dont do it as it is not really secure). When there is a sand pit close i usually back up the truck at it to load the bike. That is what most people here do with moto and quad, backing at a sand pit to load in the bed and/or trailer.

Otherwise i try having someone to help.
Riding alone is never a great idea anyway... i know i do it all the time :(

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Even with a jacked up left knee, loading my 450 wasn't too bad this fall.. Mind you, I drive an S-10, which sits pretty low.. Either a wide ramp or something to step up on will help a lot.

Then I usually just put one strap on, loose, so the bike leans a bit, then get out of the truck and attach the other strap.

So far I haven't had the bike fall out of the truck on me.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
5'8, Dodge Ram 4x4, 12 inch wide folding steel ramp from Sears and I occasionally put a stand next to the ramp. Hanging your bike off of the back of the truck puts it more directly in the path on less than attentive drivers (that's why you always see bicycles on top of the cars).

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
IndyMX said:
Even with a jacked up left knee, loading my 450 wasn't too bad this fall.. Mind you, I drive an S-10, which sits pretty low.. Either a wide ramp or something to step up on will help a lot.

Then I usually just put one strap on, loose, so the bike leans a bit, then get out of the truck and attach the other strap.

So far I haven't had the bike fall out of the truck on me.

Hehe, am using a old 1987 S-15 for that(when am not using the Grand Prix with a trailer), these little chevy truck are nice 4x4/truck.
It did take me a few try to find the strap trick :)

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I've had a ramp like Truespode has for about three years and absolutely love it. Got it at local Honda dealer for $120 (think it was marked $135 of $140). Unfortunately, I can't use it until I replace the tailgate some meth-shooting A--hole stole from my truck a few weeks ago.
Walk the bike up. Walk the bike down. (OK, I've been known to ride it up many times, despite that I know better). Easy as pie. I usually ride alone and I am accident-prone, but no problems with El Wide Rampo

Dec 31, 2008
when i would ride alot, i would usually end up going to the track by myself. I used a trailer, 4'x8'. I never had any trouble loading/unloading or tying down my bike by myself using the trailer. I had a ramp for loading it onto the trailer, but did not need it to take the bike off. I like the idea of truck over trailer though because if your bike falls, its still in the truck.

JHNguyen89

Dec 4, 2009
Thanks for the help.

I'm thinking about just going with the ramp in back of the pick up method. Do you guys prefer walking/pushing on the ramp method? Or using a ramp and a stool?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Ramp and stool for me. I usually stand on the left side of the bike, with a finger on the front brake.

If the rear tires of the truck are in a low spot like at the bottom of my driveway, then the tailgate is much lower and the stool is not necessary.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Gotta' figure that one out for yourself. I use a stool when I load in the truck (I have an enclosed bike trailer with ramp door) just because that's what my ramp allows. IF I were to walk a ramp it would be a wide one like Truespode's so that things were more sturdy.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
if you get one of those heavy duty steel ramp-end kits and a stout enough board, you can ride it up. 2"x 12" x 6'.

part of the promblem is that trucks are getting taller and taller for no good reason.

Years ago I had a 2WD F100, it sat so low you could just unhinge the tailgate, which would let it droop enough you could "trials" it up in there, of course it helps if you find a low spot for the rear tires.

tank_tech

Jan 2, 2010
loading on ramps

i used to load my bike in my ol' S10 with a 4'x12" home built wood ramp. Tail gate was only 24" off the ground sitting flat. I used to ride my bike up the ramp then hump on the brakes, being a 8' box i had a lil more time to slow down. does anyone load like this?

Now i have a new bike and new truck, 98 silverado lifted 5". with a 6' ramp on the tail gate the ramp is a lil steeper then 45 degrees, not sure how im gonna load this year. maybe a really long ramp?

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I don't know why you guys have so much trouble. I just grab the bike, lift it into the bed of the truck and secure it. No problem :)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I actually feel safer lifting the bike into a truck than using a ramp. I've had ramps move and even had front wheels slip off the side (my aim aint too good).

I've heard that Pred picks the bike up with one hand and slides the truck under it with the other.

MickeyLive

Dec 29, 2009
I know many of you have opted for loading the bike in the truck-bed. I've done this as well. Since I have a shell on the truck most of the time, I bought an aluminum motorcycle rack on Ebay. It's easy to load and unload. In fact, I felt much safer loading by myself with the hitch rack. Since I travel as part of my job, I take the bike with me. I've probably done 25,000+ miles with a bike on the bike without incident. Straping over the seat with a crank-strap is a good safety add-on.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
High Lord Gomer said:
I've had ramps move and even had front wheels slip off the side (my aim aint too good).

If you get the wideboy like Spode has, it has straps you attach to the bumper and pull tight. I pulled a Wiley Coyote once when I rode up mine and hadn't taken the time to attach the straps: wheel spinning in air, ramp on the ground about six feet behind me.
And if you slip off the side of the el wido rampo, well, you might want to think about another pasttime !!

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
I put mine into a van...I lift it up...not that hard...front wheel, and then lift the back on in.
One other thing always bothered me with the hitch carriers...most of them Ive seen out on the road block your license plates...with my luck that would lead to all kinds of tickets. :yikes:

Top Bottom