Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
So my totally awesome wife finally gave me a late 10 year anniversary gift. She surprised me with a brand spankin' new Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM lens! I have been lusting over this lens for quite a while but just figured I'd never actually own one. She gave it to me on Friday and the first chance I got to use it was today on a quick trip to the Monterey Bay.

I must say, I almost felt guilty about walking around with this lens on my little XT (I'm definitely getting a grip for my body because the weight of the lens makes it feel like it wants to rip the body out of my hand). So yes, the lens is heavy at 3.5 lbs., but when I saw the results it yielded, I'll never complain about the weight again. So, nothing special here, as far as pictures go. I just fired a few snapshots to get a feel for what the lens could do. I'm hooked and I'm once again excited about shooting anything and everything!

Aside from some cropping and resizing, these shots are right out of the camera. I didn't boost any saturation or sharpen these at all. I love this lens!!! :laugh:

Attachments

• JJ Gump.jpg
    JJ Gump.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Seal Island.jpg
    Seal Island.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Beach kids.jpg
    Beach kids.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I was walking around behind a hotel right on the beach and I saw this wall. I thought the light and texture made it look really cool. :cool:

Attachments

• Beach Wall color.jpg
    Beach Wall color.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 139

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
So once I finished re-sizing the beach wall shot, I heard Rich's voice in my head saying, "Try that in black and white!" ;)

Attachments

• Beach Wall bw.jpg
    Beach Wall bw.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 143

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
Gorgeous photos! Keep 'em coming.

I suppose the wife gave you those two cute kids, too? :cool: Didn't someone nominate her for best wife or something on one of these threads? (Or you for having the good sense to marry well?) :nod: Way cool.

Too funny about hearing Rich's voice. What's that expression about having a nickel?? When his voice starts speaking to you in gearhead jive (and you understand what he means!), you'll know you've had a bonafide religious experience!

I must caution you about heeding that voice too often, though. I've heard tell that it may cause you to endeavor to assemble v-twin camera dollies or execute dance floor moves for the best possible shot. Lessor men have been known to dream they've become the best boy or key grip in some MX action movie with a beret-clad Rich as director....;)

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
p.s. I like the color seawall. You are right about the colors and textures giving it life and a sense of time. I also like the picture of the kids with their shadows. There is a lot going in it that I like, that also resonates of "time".

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I've sat here trying to think of something witty to say about you marrying well etc. but you've already exhausted my arsenal. Congrats man!

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Thanks everyone! Trust me, I'm well aware of what a "keeper" I have. She's great. Although in some ways I did earn that lens with 10 years of dedicated service. ;) I'm hoping after another succesful decade I may qualify for the 24-70mm L!

I can't wait to shoot some moto with this lens. I was a little bummed that I only got to take about 20-30 shots with it on Sunday, but it's got many years of use coming its way. I may need to bug some of you (cough)Chili(cough) about the right way to use this thing when shooting moto (I think you mentioned you turned off the IS when shooting moto? Even mode2/panning IS???).

olderndirtmom, yes, my wife gave me those awesome kids as well. They've given me lots of great practice with photography around the house. They see me pick up my camera and immediately snap into poses and smiles. I thought it was funny about hearing Rich's voice as well (especially since I've never actually heard Rich's voice). I just knew he'd suggest it and I actually really like the look of the black and white.

I will definitely post more as decent stuff becomes available. I recently installed Lightroom also, so I'm trying to figure out how to use that at the same time. I can already see how easy it would have been to improve the stuff I posted above. Thanks again everyone!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Kawidude said:
I may need to bug some of you (cough)Chili(cough) about the right way to use this thing when shooting moto (I think you mentioned you turned off the IS when shooting moto? Even mode2/panning IS???).

Can't help you there, I own the NON IS version of that lens. I do believe every MX shooter I've ever talked to has them both off.

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Congrats on the new glass. IS is a great feature to have, but just leave it off for mx. If you do some slow panning stuff it's ok, but other than that it's useless for mx. Pit shots, people, anything stationary by all means turn it on.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Awesome! Thanks for the tips guys!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Nice shots Kawi. I'm thinking this lens will really open up some cool possibilities for you. As hard as it is sometimes to justify the cost of killer glass, the results always seem worth it in the end. Just seeing those smooth creamy out of focus backgrounds tells me it's money well spent.

BTW, the wall does look much cooler in B&W ;)

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Thanks Rich! You're not kidding about that sweet bokeh! I took that first shot of my son and was viewing it on the back of the camera, thinking, "PLEASE let this look as good on my monitor as it does on this little viewfinder!"

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Hey Mike,

Congrats on the 10 years of Marriage :)

Would you mind if I saved the picture of Jacob for Belle? She has been asking about him :whoa: :)

Oh yeah, you do need some Moto Shots with the lense, I think Hollister will be opening up for me in the next week or so :nod:

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
rickyd said:
Hey Mike,

Congrats on the 10 years of Marriage :)

Would you mind if I saved the picture of Jacob for Belle? She has been asking about him :whoa: :)

Oh yeah, you do need some Moto Shots with the lense, I think Hollister will be opening up for me in the next week or so :nod:

Hey man! No problem, make sure Belle gets a copy of that picture. Let me know the next time you're at a track and I'll try to get out there sometime in the next few weekends. I need to get some moto shots with this lens ASAP!

Top Bottom