Slips

Jan 24, 2004
My beautiful 04 KX 125! I love this bike. It is SO sweet. Today I come to the trailer with my boy to put our bikes up after riding all afternoon( he was on his new to him, 02 CR80... first time at a track and he had a blast! )

I reach down to lower front fork to pick the bike up on my side and its covered in fork oil! It made my hand wet and was slippery of course.

I have never busted a fork seal but sounds like I have an excellent candidate :ugg:

Any way I can find out without taking it to the shop or taking the seal out etc? When I got home the first thing I did was check and there was no oil after we went to the car wash.

Thanks in advance for advise :thumb:

Slips

Jan 24, 2004
Well, I went and looked again and there is definately a little oil when I press the seal easy. So, I guess it's busted.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
It may just have dirt in the seal and not busted. Pull the dust cap down, clean it out with contact cleaner then run a business card up under the seal or a feeler gauge. Do a complete revolution and repeat a few times. I prefer the business card because the dirt clings to the paper. Had to do it at the track 2 weeks ago. Worked like a champ.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The business card trick works well. I was able to get another year out of my YZ seal by doing this.

For the effort involved, I woudl probably replace the seal. It is much easier than worrying about when it is going to take a dump again.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Order the Kawi shop service manual and learn to change the seals yourself. It's really a fairly easy job and learning to work on your own bike is a good thing to do.

cr80 kid

Mar 15, 2004
There is an easier way to check, I thought my fork seal was busted but all i needed to do was relieve the pressure in my forks. Saved me 20 bucks :yeehaw:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Dito in the business card thing and the release of pressure as well.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I've always used film negatives since the holes in the film catch allot of dirt, and they're very rigid for how thin they are. I have an 01 YZ 250 with original seals and have fixed either side this way numerous times. I put on "seal savers" neoprene covers last year and haven't had a leak since.

Top Bottom